What is enjoyable about hunting?

Is it the actual killing that people find appealing? Taking life? I think if my husband enjoyed killing I would find it disturbing... What do you or your SO or other family members like about hunting? Or is it something done out of necessity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Ours is done out of necessity, if we didn't hunt deer or varmints then we would have an over-population of these animals, which in return eats everything that we plant every- year. We eat the deer meat...as far as varmints go we feed the vultures... We still implement rules and morals in our hunting. We don't shoot at just anything...
    enmaynard

Answer by enmaynard at 11:44 PM on May. 15, 2009

• i dunno what it is about hunting. but my hubby and i LOVE to go fishing. its so calming
    rkm0731

Answer by rkm0731 at 11:48 PM on May. 15, 2009

• My husband loves it because he is immersing himself in nature. When he shoots a deer, he feels a connection to it. Sometimes, he'll see a deer and have every opportunity to shoot it, but doesn't. He claims he "doesn't know why", but I know why, and I think he does too. He doesn't "like" killing. If you eat meat, would you "like" shooting a cow in the head with a stake at point-blank range?
    Hunting is much nobler than the way we get most of our meat. Too often, we forget where our food comes from. Hunting and small farming both are ways to eat meat without being blind to just what it is you are eating. It's not "venison", it's a deer. It's not "beef", it's a cow. It's not "pork", it's a pig. And you can appreciate that creature more.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I know my brother-in-law likes doing it as a sport, and I don't think it's the killing he likes, I think it's to him, like "the big score" as in an achievement. They also do it for the food, they don't waste it, but he finds this to be a hobby to have fun. I personally do not like animals being killed, but I'd much rather them be shot dead immediately that to go through what they do in slaughter houses. It's sick and disturbing, and I wish everyone would completely quit buying meat from the stores, and when they needed it, just go kill a deer, because at least it gets to run free out in the wilderness before it dies, and when it does, most of them die instantly, or very soon after. In a slaughter house it's absolutely pathetic and sad. They keep the animals locked up, they abuse them, they have a very cruel, torturing way of killing them.
    Anonymous

• I don't do the actual hunting, but I do love all the steak and jerky and sausage that comes with it.

Hunting isn't about killing, its about providing.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:01 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I do not hunt but my SO does with his dad. Its kind of a manly bonding experience I guess for one. plus deer meat is really good and do you know how much more expencive it is to go but it then to hunt it yourself. It definently has nothing to do with taking a life...my SO could never kill anything unless it was for food..
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 12:15 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When hunters aren't around, the deer overpopulate, that's when the real problems come in. They starve because there's not enough food to keep them healthy. They just can't eat anything green, you know. (other wild animals starve as well when deer eat all of the food.) They transmit diseases to each other more readily, and people are injured and killed though deer vs. car encounters. Sometimes local areas will allow hunting in a otherwise-restricted area to cull the herds. It keeps nature in balance.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:45 AM on May. 16, 2009

• 11:53... I couldn't agree more! I'm vegan and don't eat meat because I won't support factory farming and I don't think I could hunt or kill my own animals unless my life or my family lives depended on it.

I do understand the necessity in controlling the animal population, but I just imagine that for me killing an animal would devastate me, but some seem to really love hunting.

Someone mentioned fishing... I feel so bad about this, but I used to love going fishing with my dad and then with my husband and his family. I never really thought about it at the time, but we used to catch and release ALL THE TIME. Hubby's parents never actually keep fish. They say that if they want to eat fish they'll go to a seafood restaurant... Poor fish. I used to hook 'em through the eye, yank the hook out and just throw them back in the water! I don't know why I didn't think of them the same way as other animals...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't know anyone who hunts because they "enjoy" killing things. I hunt for the freezer, not for Horns/ Trophies.I do "enjoy" the fact that I know my food is healthy as it can get & not pumped full of steroids or other animal by products or chemicals. I "enjoy" the fact that since there are no Natural predators for Deer in my state that I am part of the Circle that keeps the deer in my area healthy & free of over population, starvation & disease. I wish I could hunt the sick like Wolves do but I do NOT believe in hunting the Big ones & leaving the small, BIG mistake! I do "enjoy' the fact that the animal I am eating had a happy life, instead of forced to live their whole life in a dusty pen somewhere, & then loaded on a scary truck ride & then led up a dark chute to be shot in the head with a nail gun. The animals I shoot don't even hear the gun shot go off, as I try to get as close as possible so they don't suffer.
    dansuehath

Answer by dansuehath at 3:03 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Thanks for your input dansuehath! It sounds like you are a very respectful hunter. And I can understand where you are coming from.

I was more curious about the trophy hunters though... I'm surprised I haven't gotten at least one reply from someone who's SO hunts for sport and trophies.

I asked this question because when I was picking my son up from school yesterday there was a truck in front of me with some hunting window stickers. Two of them were just the deer profile with the antlers, but then there was one of a deer laying on the ground dead. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
    Anonymous