Homeschooling Pros and Cons?

I'm trying to make an educated decision on whether or not I'd like to homeschool my child. Please no bashing, ranting or raving. No rude comments either! Just information on why you love what you do and why it works for your family! If you were a homeschooled or public schooled child yourself I'd love to hear what you liked or didn't like about it. Thank you Mom's!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I was public school. I plan on homeschooling b/c I want my DD to learn what we feel is important and to be able to incorporate religion, morals, and decency. I don't want her exposed to the "crap" that all these other children are exposed to in an actual school setting.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:51 PM on May. 15, 2009

• I went to public school as well. We homeschool our kids because it works for us. They have tons of other homeschooled friends to hang out with. They are exposed to a wider selection of curriculums to better suit their individual needs. We are a close knit family. It's not easy, but if you're going to try it, I'd suggest giving it a good year before fully commiting.
    Anonymous

• I was both homeschooled and public schooled (a few years back and forth for each) so I know both sides of the spectrum. IMO, I wish my parents would have homeschooled me all 12 years. The program we used is a Christian-based curriculum, so you don't learn about the big bang theory and what-not. You learn the traits of a Christian, perseverance, etc. There was also the individualized learning pace, and I was very advanced, so I could go through my schoolwork as quickly or slowly as I needed to. Whenever I went to public schools, I would sit bored in the classrooms, because they wouldn't let me skip, and they were only learning what I had learned several years prior. The ONLY drawback to homeschooling is that your children won't have a day-to-day interaction with other children. BUT there are homeschool groups in every state, and even in most towns, that will get together sometimes weekly or monthly, ...........
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• to go on field trips, or to the park, skating, etc. just so the kids can have friends, and be social.

When my daughter gets old enough (and any other kids we have) we're going to homeschool them all. You don't have to have a license or anything. The program we use comes with a manual and teaching book to get started, and then after a certain point, the school books teach the children. I can't remember what grade it starts that in, but it's basically self-teaching, but the parent does the scoring and testing. Also, they have yearly tests to make sure the child is learning, and to see what level the child is at, and what certain areas need to be reviewed. If you're interested in the Christian homeschooling, you could check out www.SchoolOfTomorrow.com
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:05 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I went to public school and i even sent my 2 older boys to preschool (ages 5 and almost 4) and ive taken them out because i didnt feel that it was right for them- ever since they have been happy and thriving- and they have learned alot of things that they wouldnt have otherwise- i pretty much teach them what they want to know- like the other day- my boys wanted to know about certain animals and we looked them up and they learned what they wanted to know- and as a follow up we took a field trip to the bronx zoo where they were able to see the animals they wanted to learn about- so its like you can mold the education to fit the child when you homeschool instead of molding your child to fit the education- if that makes any sense? but i love it and my boys love it so i guess thats all that matters- i hope this helps!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:39 AM on May. 16, 2009

• OP- Thank you ladies for such great and helpful answers. Do any of you do homeschooling but have your children in mommy and me type classes as well like art, music, sports etc? Is this something you'd suggest as an additive? I thought maybe it would add back in the social part of things and teach the things I'm not so great at (ie football) Please any suggestions, comments etc are so helpful and entirely appreciated! Thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I would love to homeschool my kids but I am a single mom so I have to go to work and provide for my family. My kids are in daycare right now but if I could stay home with them when its time to start grade school I would. I believe some kids need that one on one time and may learn best that way. I have a friend who was home schooled and she says she still interacted in social groups at public school and she was not isolated from society. She's really smart too so I dont think that should really be a concern. Get your child involved in extracurricular activities at a local public school and the school has to accept your child
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 12:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Also when homeschooled the child can focus on learning and not worry about what others are thinking of them and how cool they are. You hear all the time about kids having low self esteem and being bullied at school, that can really effect a child's learning ability
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 12:28 PM on May. 16, 2009