cloth diapering mama's .. yeast rash on son , and using cloth diapers what can i do ..

so he has thrush in his mouth and the dr gave me a script for that , but well now hes getting a yeast rash on his bum .. i was wondering what i could use until i can call the dr on monday , and also what do i need to do to my cloth diapers so the yeast doesnt stay in them ..?

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 11:52 PM on May. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As for the diapers you could try boiling them and bleaching them a bit (don't boil the bleach though, lol). For his bum, have you tried laying down a towel in the floor and let him go about an hour or two butt-naked to let it air out and maybe self-heal?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:55 PM on May. 15, 2009

• P.S. I'd just like to say that I'm not a cloth-diaper mommy, so what I say may not work for the diapers. I am just guessing as to what I'd do.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• You can make this magic butt paste:
    1 tube desitin
    1 tube bacitracin
    1 tube A & D ointment
    1 tube Lotrimin AF (there's your anti-fungal)
    2 tsp Maalox

It works good, and you've got the anti-fungal in there. I recommend getting the generic versions of everything you can (much cheaper), and mixing it up in an old jar. I did it in one of my bowls once, and it lingered a long time. I also sprinkle corn starch over the area (on top of the paste).
    You may also consider switching over to disposables while he has the ouchy bottom. I usually end up doing that b/c frankly, they wick away the moisture better. Huggies now has some nice natural cotton ones that work pretty well.
    Good luck!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:56 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh yes, and of course- let him air when you can. That really helps.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:57 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Oh sorry- and for the diapers. Maybe when you do the wash cycle, put about 1/4 cup of bleach and a couple squirts of Dawn dish soap in there. Definitely the bleach. That might kill the yeast...
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:59 PM on May. 15, 2009

• Don't know what to do about the diapers, but for the rash....

Soak in a bath with baking soda twice a day if you can (at least once). No soap, no washing, just play in the water with baking soda.

Don't use any wipes, use a wash cloth with warm water and pat dry.

Lotrimin AF three times a day, barrier cream all other times at diaper changes.

Let him air out if you can...but I know it's not always possible. lol

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My son has trouble with yeast. After every diaper I wipe him with 1 T vinegar in 1 c of warm water. It changes the ph of the skin and gets rid of the rash within 24 hours, and I add vinegar as the fabric softner in my wash for the diapers.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 3:17 PM on May. 17, 2009