How do I keep my kids from overeating?

I have a six year old and a seven year old that tend to eat large meals. They eat more than I do. I will get them two double cheeseburgers and medium fries from McDonalds. When they are done they ask for more. If I tell them we don't have any more would you like an apple they say no. I served chicken and rice tonight for dinner. They both ate three helpings which was the equivilant of three cups of food. They asked for fourth helpings. When I let them know they had eaten it all and they could have an apple or yogurt they said they were full. They will eat whatever I make them for dinner until it is all gone. If I make a large pot of soup they have been known to eat four bowls. One of them is in the 60th percentile for weight and the other is in the 20th. It doesn't seem to be affecting their weight too much now but I don't want it too lead to unhealthy habits as adults. Does anyone have any suggestions?

dcm1585

Asked by dcm1585 at 12:00 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I'm just wondering if they both have unusually high metabolism.
    If you can afford it, consult a certified pediatric nutritionist about their eating habits. Could possibly be hyper-thyroidism?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:03 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I hadn't thought of their thyroid. Thank you.
    dcm1585

Answer by dcm1585 at 12:56 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Sounds like they are growing boys. Just offer healthy foods and they should be good. If they start having problems with thier wieght then You should cut down on th eamounts you serve them. I know boys are known to eat you out of house and home!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:25 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It sounds like they are not eating a wide variety of foods. They (and you) should be eating 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors; and 7 servings of whole grains. Start meals with a big salad or cut up veggies with a dip (hummus, ranch dressing, etc.). Desserts should be fruit: diced kiwi with pecans; blueberries with a tablespoon of ice cream or rice dream. Make hearty, heathy meals. Some of the meals we eat are sweet potato and black bean burritos; whole wheat noodles and broccoli with peanut sauce; 4 bean chili (loaded with vegetable) with brown rice and cheese.
    Feel free to contact me directly for more meal ideas and recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Sounds like they may have a high metabolism or are in a growing spurt. Mention the amount they eat the next time they are at the doctor and see what they say.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I agree with all of the above post. It also sounds like they are being a little picky. If they have eaten a good bit of 'dinner' food and are still Hungary, you offer something healthy, they give it a miss. Sounds like you are doing them a favor there but also try serving more fruits and veggies with the meals. Serve them a little of everything. when they have cleaned the plate they can have seconds. after the seconds offer an apple or yogurt like you have been. It's okay for a growing child who is not overweight to eat what seems like entirely to much as long as it is healthy and balanced.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• do more whole grains as well. whole wheat pasta fills you up a lot faster than reg pasta
    Anonymous