would you be upset if this happened to your child

we invited 50 people to his birthday they ALL came one person brought my son a gift he felt terrible i know gifts are not the point of the party but i felt so bad for my son and these people are not struggling every time we have been invited to their childrens parties we have brought gifts .this was a BIG expensive party too

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• 49 ppl showed up to a party and didn't bring a gift? what's up with that? Even poor ppl take gifts to a party. I've never heard of such a thing. It's amazing you got that many ppl to show up to a birthday party but I'm shocked that 49 sets of parents were that inconsiderate.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:21 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Wow! I can see not all of them bringing gifts but out of 50 people 49 did not bring gifts? That is crazy! I agree parties are not about gifts but most people feel weird not bringing a gift...I know I do. Wow...that is really weird.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:23 AM on May. 16, 2009

• i dnt know if upset is the word i would use to describe the feeling, did your son enjoy himself???
    at my daughter's last party, we got gifts... a bunch of Garbage gifts tho. 1 person actually gave my daughter an outfit that was 2 sizes to big (not the issue) but it had the nerve to have a hole in the shirt lol, and no tags. i think i would have rather her nt give a gift at all. bu my baby had a ball... and that made me happy soooo, upset ... i dnt know
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:23 AM on May. 16, 2009

• he did have a good time i still feel bad thoughbut 49 people is just unreal to me did they have a meeting or what lol?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Yes and no my kids always have to many toys so I tell them that befor the party that I will give them a gift a toy and something they need so to tell their freinds that the party is just to have fun with each other.
    mandyandthree

Answer by mandyandthree at 12:26 AM on May. 16, 2009

• What? Something about 1 person out of 50 invited to a BIRTHDAY party...doesn't seem right to me. Even if I had to go to the dollar store to get a gift, If I was invited and couldn't afford to get something fancy, I'd get something cheaper that I knew he would enjoy! That's just rediculous!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 12:30 AM on May. 16, 2009

• thats realllly messed up!! i would never let my daughter go to a bday party without a gift!! ive never even heard of that,,(people NOT bringing gifts) thats reallllllllly messed up!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:50 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When we had our son's last birthday party, he invited a set of twins and a kid whose father works out of town a lot but only has one car. So the twins got two gifts, one from each, which I thought was sweet. And the other kid made a card and put $5 in the card because they didn't get a chance to go to the store. We would have been happy with just their presence, but their presents were nice too. I thought it was very sweet the way they all three made sure they had something to give. I know, and I am sure your son knows, the point was to have fun, but I wonder if that one kid that did bring a gift felt awkward.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:01 AM on May. 16, 2009

• That would bug me too but you have to remind your son that having a birthday isn't about the gifts. I have to say--something sounds fishy. Did you or hubby make someone mad, lol?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:46 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Why did you invite 50 people? Just the number of people invited probably made people think that all you wanted were gifts, and you invited so many that no one would know if (s)he didn't bring a gift. Funny 49 of them felt that was. Maybe you should scale back the party so people won't feel used.
    Anonymous