What can I do?

All my sons therapists are telling me he is sending "red flags" in his development. I think he is being a normal toddler boy. He is picky with his food, and refuses to say anything other than, "ya, no, and Thank you". Sure he used to behave better, and say a heck of a lot more words. Am I crazy or is this just a toddlers rebellion? Please tell if you have advice.

MyReason329

Asked by MyReason329 at 12:38 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went through something like that with my oldest son. He started talking a whole bunch when hde was about 11 months. but then by 14 months, would hardly say a word. The only words he would say was say "mommy" "daddy" and "no". When he turned 18 months his pediatrician wanted us to take him to see a speech therapist. We held off. All this time, I was pregnant with our second son, and when he started to recognize that, he said "baby" a lot. And then learned the word "brother" and shortly after Mikey was born he started talking a lot. Now he don't stop talking!! haha.
    MelindaFeeney

Answer by MelindaFeeney at 3:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Why was he seeing a therapist to begin with?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on May. 16, 2009

• He has hydrocephalus. Water on the brain. He was born with it. The doctors keep saying he is developing well in every aspect. But it is these darn therapists......
    MyReason329

Answer by MyReason329 at 12:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Regression is not something to take lightly. That's probably their concern with the red flags discussion.. I trust my daughter's therapists, so I'd be listening very carefully to what they're saying. Most typically developing toddlers that I have seen increase in speech even if they become picky eaters or have difficult behaviors.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:05 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't take it lightly but iw ouldnt panic either! Just keep workin with him foce him to ask for something like say cup my girls called a cup a mora cause I'd say do u want more. Can u get him to eat better if you cut fruit or sandwich w/ cookie cutters? Lots of toddlers r picky eaters! try to play word games some toddlers just go back and forth. This si their world they just let us live in it! LOL
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:36 AM on May. 16, 2009

• To be honest, I've never heard of toddlers rebelling by using less words. Most toddlers and preschoolers naturally love to talk and to expand their words, not limit them. I would see his refusal to use words as a red flag for something, maybe not necessarily the hydrocephalus, could even be just stress. I would listen to the therapists and try whatever they recommend and go from there.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I would listen to the therapists. If he's 3 -4, three words is not normal. Must be very stressful for you. Good luck!
    Annymous

Answer by Annymous at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Listen to his therapist recommendations. They have been trained in child development. Ask them what they think you should do. Do they recommend that her be seen by a particular doctor or specialist? Early intervention is so important. The earlier you know what is going on with your child's development, the better off he will be. Better to look into it and find out all is well then to wait and watch him get farther behind. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:21 AM on May. 17, 2009