Help PLZ! i posted earlier but i need more advice lol.

i have a 6 month old chihuahua in which i paid 1300 for, yes i know this is ridiculous. she had all of sudden got sick and doc things its a possible bowel obstruction. This could cost around 3,000 to fix. I love her but have a baby on the way and a two year old and if she did eat something that caused this im so scared to pay the money and it happen AGAIN. Its hard to constantly monitor exactly what toy my daughter has or where her toys are at all times. i couldnt possibly imagine giving her to SPCA. i love her so much but really can't afford this much money. I feel SOO stuck. I would be devastated losing her but dont know how i can come up with this much money. What do you think?? Im very depressed. I go back tom for xrays but she is getting worse so i know she will probably need the surgery. This is killing me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Pets

• X-rays will tell you the real reason for the illness. She could also have a virus or parvo or other diseases even low blood sugar (which is common in small dogs). Maybe ask the local ASPCA for donations for the surgery?
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:47 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Ask, no, BEG, your dr. to be able to make payments. I have been a loyal customer to my vet for 14 years, and my vet will take payments from me for anything over $100. She's awesome, and feels that helping the pet is more important than getting paid in full at the time of service.

Good luck with the xrays.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 7:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• $1300 is an investment you made in to a pet/animal. If your income level allows this kind of extravegance, then I would continue with the care. What choice would you have?

Small dogs are like babies. They have to be coddled and watched over just the same. I don't suggest growing families with small children own pets unless they have the money to pour into them, and the time it takes to train, care and watch over the pet. Most families don't really have this kind of money to direct this way. Sorry. I wish we had an answer for you.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:27 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Here is a website that gives grants for people that need veterinarian care for there pets in an emergency! You need to meet the guidelines. Check it out! They might help!

http://www.aahahelpingpets.org/
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 10:26 AM on May. 16, 2009

• You can apply for Care Credit. Most vet clinics accept it. Also you can get pet insurance. Some will cover pre exsisting conditions, and I know when we worked at the vet clinic, we would help people get around the dates and everything to make sure that it was paid for. Talk to your vet about it and see if they are willing to help. In addition I dont know what area you are in, but stay away from discount vets and even places like Banfield. You need to find an AAHA hospital and one that has been around for a while, those tend to accept payments more often. Also see if they are willing to take the animal and you can sign your rights away to him. The clinic that I worked at would also do this in some instances where people couldn't afford to have a procedure done. We would fix them up and adopt them out to good homes. I have also seen obstruction surgeries be more costly than that three thousand mark. PM me if you have more que.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:39 PM on May. 16, 2009

• you got a chiuahuah and you have small kids? RIDICULOUS! did you not research this breed at all before you got the dog? they are aggressive, first of all. second ,small dogs have expensive dental problems. and young children don't know how to treat dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• look up dog insurance.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:37 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Im sorry about the dog, but dogs are like kids, you shouldnt get them if you cant afford to care for them, if your son fell and busted his leg and had to have reconstructive opps and what not. would you put him up for adoption because you dont have medical insurance and the opp is $300,000... dogs are children, part of the family-and your letting her suffer because you dont have the money, shame on you-take her to the spca and have her fixed and giving a good home- small breads arent good for babies anyway-
    Anonymous