The baby duck debate

My boyfriend wants two baby mallard ducks as pets, but I am concerned about diseases that may bring. I am only eight weeks pregnant. Anyone know anything about this?

JacquieG83

Asked by JacquieG83 at 12:45 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Um, is that legal? You do realize they will grow up to be big ducks, not baby ducks?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't want the dang ducks... and that is exactly what I said :-) I just want to find out the dangers and hope that will talk him out of it!
    JacquieG83

Answer by JacquieG83 at 12:59 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I had a pet duck once as a kid (we hatched them in 5th grade and got to take them home) we raised him until he was a full size duck and then gave him to a duck conservation farm. He actually made a great pet....followed us around like a little puppy and snuggled and slept in your arms....it was too cute. Really messy poop though and hard to keep fed. I dont know anything about diseases, you should google it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:12 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have a baby duck; I am prefectly fine! Just wash your hands and don't touch anything till you do wash your hands. They're harmless too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on May. 16, 2009

• i dont know, but we used to have ducks. and something killed them all in the middle of the night one night. it was heart breaking.
    babymomma4

Answer by babymomma4 at 1:53 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have 2 ducks. Both are domestic breeds but one does look like a mallard-- he has a green head and purple wing band. I have not had any problems with diseases, but I should warn you that they are very very messy. Ducks do not poop solids-- they poop diarrhea. They have to have access to a lot of water, and you need to change their water 2x a day because sometimes they will poop in their own water, and it is truly disgusting.

The good news is that they can be very affectionate if you start interacting with them at a young age. They eat slugs, which helps a lot with our organic gardening efforts. They also have really fun personalities. I have a wading pool that they swim in, and it's fun to watch them play and splash.

They are prey animals, so raccoons and coyotes will attack them unless you have them penned. Also, domestic ducks are usually much bigger than wild ducks.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:29 AM on May. 16, 2009

• as long as you wash your hands it shouldnt be a problem...im currently raising a pig and we have turkeys (I live on a Ranch so I deal with other animals to like goats) and with all animals you need to wash your hands after handling them...this goes for pet turtles...and lizards..and so on
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 2:45 AM on May. 16, 2009

• we have pet ducks but they stay outside only..hey are not hard to take care of and very raly u need to worry about deases..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2010