Anyone get free formula with WIC?

I've gotten WIC since I was 8 months pregnant. I don't even know how I qualify because my husband makes pretty good money...but I'm not going to complain at all. I am thankful for my free formula, it saves us so much money. But anyway, I get 10 FREE cans of formula a month, and everyone told me that WIC isn't worth it because you have to buy extra formula when you run out of the 10 cans. I've never had this problem. I've always had 1 or 2 cans leftover at the end of the month, and now that my DS is 6 months, I have nearly 6 -7 cans left over because of all the formula I have built up! Does this happen to anyone else?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 12:57 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not for me. I usually have to buy atleast 2-3 extra cans a month but getting the10 saves about 130 dollas so it is definitely still worth it!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:59 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Kayden was allergic to milk and soy so the formula we got came in smaller cans than the regular formula they give, for the first 8 months or so I always had to buy 3 or 4 cans. After he started eating some solids I ended up with some leftover.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:00 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I take it back I think I had to buy 1 or 2 cans when he was about 1 and 2 months old, but other than that it's worked fantastically. I think it's nuts for women not to at least try to get wic, even if they can afford all the formula in the world, it saves so much money, $1,560 a year, which you can spend on other things for your little one. Needless to say. I love WIC!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• yea my son is 4 1/2 months and we are buying 1 -2 cans. its not so bad he is starting to wait longer between feedings to need to eat again so I prob will start having left overs eventually. I LOVE wic too!
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 1:05 AM on May. 16, 2009

• You don't have to get everything on the coupon. When you notice you have are starting to get stock pile of sorts, stop getting the formula.

My son is three and he gets WIC. Every month, we have about half a gallon of milk left. So every third, I get one less gallon of milk. Even tho its free, there's no since in having so much. Especially formula, when your LO turns one, you'll have a six month supply and be recieving whole milk on the coupons.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 1:10 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm going to keep getting my formula with my WIC, I don't want to run out if I stop getting it and then end up without any. If I have any stockpiled in 6 more months, I'll donate to some who needs it. It's got 3 years before it expires.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:13 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Sorry Crystal, I just realized what you meant lol, Idk how your WIC office does your coupons, but on mine, they'll print out 3 different coupons and put the 3 gallons of milk seperately on each one so I don't have to get it all at once, what would I do with 3 gallons of milk at one time??? They do the same with the cheese, eggs, juice, and peanut butter. You should see if yours does the same, that way you can get the stuff on your coupons throughout the month instead of all at once.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:15 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I only get nine cans of formula and I have been on wic in two different states, not fair. We usually had to buy I about 1-2 cans of formula every month but our son was a piggy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Until my son was about 7 months old, we had extra cans every month. But now that he's older, he has used up all that I stocked up, and we have to buy extra. I wouldn't suggest letting the free formula go -- you WILL end up using it!!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 1:37 AM on May. 16, 2009

• "I don't even know how I qualify because my husband makes pretty good money."

If you're a family of three, the upper limit is $2714/mo in the 48 lower states, Guam and the US territories, $3392 in AK, and $3121 in HI. Strikes me as kind of ridiculous to have the same limit for all 48 contiguous states...$2714 might be a fortune in one place and have you on the street in another.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 AM on May. 16, 2009