Baby cereal

My son is 4 1/2 months old. He has been eating cereal since he was about 2 months old by the spoon. He has absolutely loved it! Now all of a sudden he gags on it even when it is mixed with jar food or apple juice? Has anyone else's lil one done this? I don't know if its flavor or texture that he doesn't like? This is so odd to me that one day he loves it and the next he hates it?!? Any advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 1:03 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always mixed the rice cereal in with my sons formula because he was wanting to eat too much too often, and when I give it to him plain he loves it. I mix it with his veggies and fruits and he loves it too, it might just be the different texture that he isn't used to, keep trying, maybe make it a little thinner.
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 1:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Igt can happen as their taste buds get older and more discriminating. Try banana or avocado instead but don't sweat it. He doesn't NEED the solids right now...formula or breastmilk is his main meal and he needs to tank up on those to ensure he gets all the nutrients he needs.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Are you giving it to him when he's not hungry? Maybe that's all it is. Try giving it to him before his bottle and see if he takes it better. Other than that maybe try him on the baby cereal oatmeal or mixed grain, he just might be ready for a change. If it continues after you try everything just stop giving it to him for like a day or two and then try again. Otherwise you could talk to his Pedi about it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Some moms dont agree but have u tried an infafeeder?? My son has used one since he was about 2 months. I give him just jar food if he's being picky but @ 5 mths he dosent have to have it!I also mix his formula with grain or rice! He is a very content baby,at least when it comes to feeding time!*L*
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 2:12 AM on May. 16, 2009

• You should never give solids before the bottle. The bottle is more important. Don't worry about him not liking the cereal. It has little nutritional value anyway.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:01 AM on May. 23, 2009