ANOTHER potty question...

MY 16 month old is ready to start using the potty..all his choice. I asked his pediatrician as well if the signs are pointing towards potty time and she said yes. SO...my question is what do I do next. This is what he does.

He holds his pp when he has to go potty so I ask him "you got to go potty?" he repeats, "potty!" so we then run to the potty get him naked cause he insists on being naked to go potty. He sits on his potty does the potty dance on the potty while signing "we're going pp, we're going pp" Then he gets up and turns around and nothing. So while we are standing there observing his job he didnt do he pp's on the floor right next to his potty. And when he does I asks him to stop and he does...then we repeat the potty chair thing and he finishs again on the side of the potty on the floor. The pediatrician said thats normal but what do I do to help him? I've been asking him every other ten minutes if he has to go...

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:20 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, it might help if you are more specific. Instead of saying "do you need to go potty?" ask him if he needs to go pee or poop. That way it is more clear what you are to expect and what is expected of him.
    Also, you might try a sticker chart. When he can actually make it in the toilet put a sticker on the chart. When the chart is full he gets a reward, like an activity or a toy (please dont use candy or other foods). And give him time. it sounds like he's still not enitrely sure what he's feeling down there or how to use it. Give lots of praise and encouragment.
    Also, you might try potty time. As soon as he waked up tell him to sit on the toilet and go pee, right before nap, right after nap, right bath or bed. ect ect. Those usually are the times when children need to use the potty anyways.
    Good luck! i started my son at 18 months and he was DONE (overnight too) by the time he was 28 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• make him sit on the potty longer & dont getting him excited while he is trying to do his business..... (lol) try it yourself.. when u need to pee or poo try getting down to your fav. song.... NOT EASY! hehe...
    Just make him sit there & think about going potty...
    Tell him his reward for going potty is doing the potty dance! And maybe a treat.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:58 AM on May. 16, 2009