Why?????

My now 3 week old has went from scheduled every 3 hour feedings (she was born at 34 weeks so I have to keep this schedule up) to fussing ALL the time. Its like every hour she is hungry again and it is EXHAUSTING me.... Not to mention waking up my 20 month old and turning him into a monster in the middle of the night and that just pushes me even further.... ANY HELP???

ladybug.ky88

Asked by ladybug.ky88 at 1:55 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I wonder if she is not getting enough to eat... as my son is 11 wks old and has just went from eating only 3 oz to 6 or 7 oz..
    Mabey she is gassy too which doesn't help the situation ...
    If she is breastfed mabey it is the foods your eating?? or if formula fed it could be that you need to mabey look into another type etc...
    I would recommend asking her dr and find out what they think could be causing this..
    Sorry I was not much help..
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 2:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Are you breastfeeding or bottle? If you are breastfeeding, how is your milk supply. Maybe she's not getting enough, or maybe she's getting gas. It sounds like she is colicky. Years ago when one of my older kids was so fussy like that I found some tablets at the drug store that were all natural, I think they were called colic tabs. They were with all the baby medicines. They also made one called teething tablets that worked really well.
    napamom27

Answer by napamom27 at 2:12 AM on May. 16, 2009

• If you're breastfeeding, you cannot follow a strict schedule. Scheduling is a supply killer. It's OK to do every three hours if she's trying to go longer...but be ready willing and able to nurse 24/7 if that's what she wants. Three hours should be considered the LONGEST allowable interval for a preemie, but shorter intervals are beter for "bulking" her up. **grin**

Welcome to the three week growth spurt. She'll do this agan at six weeks, 12 weeks...intervals divisible by three.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I am bottle feeding... She has to have special formula that has more calories than regular formula so that is something that I cant change... She might be getting colicy. My son was and I was when I was a baby so that might be a possibiliy... All I know is that im going crazyy... I got one hour of sleep last night and then had to get up to take care of my son and when he was taking his nap during the day she wouldnt sleep so I didnt get a nap at all... And here I am again at 2 in the morning and just got woken up again... ugh. I hope I find something that works quickly lol I AM TIRED!!!!
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 3:38 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Try Mylicon gas drops. And keep her upright for 20 minutes after she eats. If you have a dryer, run the dryer and hold her on top of it. Lay a thick towel down as a cushion and hold her up there. The vibrations supposedly mimic those in the womb, and it is calming.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:54 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Maybe she is still hungry. I can't imagine feeding a newborn only ever 3 hours. Mine all ate every 1 1/2 hours-2 hours the first few weeks then slowly added more time between and by 4 weeks we had upped their formula to 3-4oz already (depending on the kid...my son was a big eater). This idiot nurse at the hospital my youngest was born tried to tell us you had to stay on a strict schedule and only feed a newborn every 4 hours. I about slapped her and eventually kicked her out my room because she wouldn't bring me a bottle for my fussing baby who was obviously hungry after 2 hours. I fed all my kids on demand until they worked out their own schedule.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:19 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I personally think that a newborn doesn't need a strict feeding schedule. They should be allowed to eat when they are hungry not every x amount of hours because well that's what you were told to do. I fed all of my children when they were hungry until they were a little older and we were able to work out a schedule where they were not hungry in between feedings. I would try feeding her more. It is possible that she is hungry before four hours. Good luck!
    apattinson

Answer by apattinson at 9:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Let me explain a little more.. When she was born early the reason why she was in the NICU so long is because she just wouldnt eat and she had to have a feeding tube so thats why she was on that 3 hour schedule because I had to wake her up because she wouldnt wake up to eat sometimes... But now she is acting more hungry more often and I was wondering if I should be getting her to eat more at each feeding?? I am just really confused because with my first he was 8lbs 14 oz and ready to eat all the time and with her the doctors keep telling me to do stuff but its just not what she wants to do. They told me every 3 hours and feed her at least 35 ml (sometimes she gets tired and doesnt want to eat that much). But I guess she is just growing and wanting to eat more
    Anonymous

• Considering she is on special formula I would contact her doctor to see what they suggest. They may want you to increase the amount she's getting at each feeding. But, check with them first because they probably know exactly how many calories they want her to have and don't want her overeating on the special formula.
    napamom27

Answer by napamom27 at 7:10 PM on May. 16, 2009