help fever

How high should a 20 mth olds fever be before you take them to the ER? she's been to the dr. they said she has a really bad cold (not the flu thank god) and perscribed her tylonal. her temp is 101.7....... sorry Im freaking out, this is the first time she has been sick, im here alone and also have a 2 mth old

mrs.cooley

Asked by mrs.cooley at 2:36 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Age 6-24 months with fever present > 24 hours but no other symptoms (e.g. no cold, cough, diarrhea, etc.)
    Fever repeatedly > 104°F (40°C) despite fever medicine

101.7 isn't a high fever and they won't do anything for it. I wouldn't even give tylenol for that. Have you remember that a fever is your body's way of fighting off whatever it's fighting and when you bring down the fever then you stop the body's natural defense. If the fever is present for more than 24 hours and does not come down with medicine then you should call the doctor
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:11 AM on May. 16, 2009

• im not a dr or nurse or anything but did you give her the Tylenol yet? if so and the Tylenol has not helped the fever go down then go to the Er but you should be able to call your ped also i hope that helps =]
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 2:49 AM on May. 16, 2009

• NO ER!!!!! I wouldn't even give anything for a fever under 102.5. I work for this children's hospital. It has some great info on fevers, when to treat at home, when to call the doc, etc. Be sure to click all the tabs.

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:59 AM on May. 16, 2009

• no er even if the tylenol doesnt help it go down? (just curious for me to) ;)
    firsttimemommy

Answer by firsttimemommy at 3:06 AM on May. 16, 2009

• first of all, try to relax hon, sorry you are alone for the first illness. I was too with my son many yrs ago...If the fever doesnt go down after about 30-45 mins, call your childs pediatrician and tell him/her whats up. They aare used to calls so dont be embarassed. They will tell you what to do and what to look for.Do watch for vomitting alot and diareahha so he doesnt get dehydrated, another thing to ask doc about. Good luck and hope your little one feels better soon. hang in there honey, it will be ok.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:12 AM on May. 16, 2009