My 5 year old son

Hello, I actually posted a journal entry about this but have not seemed to get any kind of responce. I have a 5 year old son that I have a hard time communicating with, more or less disaplening(sp). He will not listen to me and I have tried eveything, he has even got so angry that he hits things or kicks and throws things. He has a very one tracked mind and he wants what he wants when he wants and I am just not sure how to get the message across to him. It gets so bad that sometime as a family we are not able to get any thing accomplished until he is satisfyed. If you have a chance please read my journal entry,it goes into a litte more detail, but any advise would be very much apprciated.

Thank you so much!

Asked by 2ofminexm at 12:39 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I read your journal.. it sounds like you need to stop giving in to him. Set down ground rules, hard fast rules that are NEVER broken, and make sure YOU and your DH stick to them. Your son is old enough to know what he can get away with and it does sound like he is taking full advantage of you. : ) It's hard, but remember, you are the MOM not the friend. Just be strong, and if he gets physically angry, send him to his room and make him stay there until he can be a calm member of the family. Check out the love and logic approach (you can google Love and Logic) it has some great tips for making kids responsible for their actions and punishments.

Answer by sapient at 1:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I answered in your journal.

Answer by TwinmomPlus at 1:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with Sapient. And once you get to that point, ensure that he feels like a part of the family, give him some age appropriate responsibilities, have him decide what to eat for dinner once a week. Something like that. My stepson did this for a while when he was about 5 and we tried what my husband calls "forced responibility" and that helped a tremendous amount. Message me if you would like more detail about our tactics.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008