How Do/Did You Manage Fitting In A New Baby,House Work,Meals, And Self Time?

I'm Trying to figure out better non-stressful ways to juggle everything with a new baby.....HELP PLEASE.....

Tarrin1Mommy

Asked by Tarrin1Mommy at 4:07 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• In the first weeks, you go to survival mode. If it's not needed to live, it's not needed while you and the baby get used to each other. As time goes on, you add things back in slowly.

You stop worrying about spotlessness and do what really NEEDS to be done.

You keep the meals as simple as possible. No Cordon Bleu cooking for now.

And you make your husand do things, too. He doesn't get a pass, even if you're staying home and he's working.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:11 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Get help from whoever is willing first off. See if you can get your partner or your mother or whatever to take baby for a day. Cook a ridiculous amount of meals that day and freeze them so you just have to reheat them later. Remember that the house doesn't have to be immaculate. As long as the room your baby is in is clean and safe, the dishes can wait. Sleep when baby does, regardless of whatever else needs to be done. If you feel rested and your baby goes to sleep, take the monitor and go take a bath, or read a book or whatever you would like to do within reason. Don't be afraid to ask for help and accept if whenever offered. Don't give yourself things that have to be done. Look back on the day as everything you got accomplished, don't look toward a day as everything that needs to be done.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:13 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Lots of new moms nap when baby naps, that is well and good, but also use the as "self time" if you need it. Get your baby on a schedule from day one and no matter how tired you may feel try not to deviate.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 4:26 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Still trying to figure that out too...Where's my ME time?!?!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:30 AM on May. 16, 2009

• One other thing I like: The proice of admission to see the baby is a casserole or a chore.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 AM on May. 16, 2009

• My daughter is three and my son is ten. I have worked full time since before my son was born and now I am going to school on top of it all. My husband helps alot but he puts in alot more hours than I do....like between 50-70/wk. So I can't say I've had me time in ten years. Plus I throw together anything I can for dinnner at the last minute....my house is usually "picked up" but seldom "clean"......my husband and I have not had a date night in five years....so anyone out there who says you just have to "make" me time, I'm with you...when?? Good luck! BTW, all this and my kids just went for their checkups and they are 100% healthy, so don't worry too much!
    Rozzanne

Answer by Rozzanne at 8:14 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I work two jobs at home plus all the stay at home stuff. It took me a year to finally get into a pattern that was good. I thought I was going to loose my mind but sooner or later things start falling into place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Prioritize. House work goes at the bottom of the list (me time before house). It's not as important as people might lead you to believe (yourself included). If you're married or have a SO, schedule your "me time" with them (even if only a 45 minute soak in the tub to start with). Relax, go with the flow and just remind yourself that you can do this and it does get easier over time.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:54 AM on May. 16, 2009

• No one was ever killed by a dust bunny.
    Build a network of support; I could never have managed without wonderful neighbors we trade childcare with.
    Make task lists; don't get overwhelmed.
    Clean one room a day; throw in one load of laundry every day or two.
    Get our of the house every day, even if it means going for a walk around the block pushing a stroller.
    A baby carrier is really helpful; I could never manage a sling, and we used a front carrier; it is amazing how much you can get done wearing a baby.
    Let you baby get used to noise; don't insist on silence during naps.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I use a household notebook, but not until the baby was three/four months old. Until then, my house was not spotless, just tidy - there is a difference. Don't push yourself too hard or you'll get burned out and remember a well rested mommy makes for a happy home. To keep things tidy, I used baskets in each room to keep all of the "stuff" at bay. When they got too full, that's when I would take time out to empty them. Sleep when baby sleeps, snack throughout the day to keep your energy up, ask family/freinds to come over and help with the major cleaning. Don't feel weird about asking - they understand, especially the ones who have been-there-done-that. Keep meals simple.  We survived on spaghetti, hamburger helper, and take-out tacos for the first couple of months. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 16, 2009