Can I paint my nails or dye my hair brown while pregnant?

I'm 15 weeks along if that matters

krystalpystal

Asked by krystalpystal at 8:03 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never heard about not painting you nails..so I would say that is ok...but I don't think you are supposed to dye your hair...
    Momm2Princess

Answer by Momm2Princess at 8:10 AM on May. 16, 2009

• They recommend not dying your hair....and trust me my blonde hair with dark madonna-look roots are making my crazy but I won't do it....the chemicals in the hair dye is absorbed into you and your baby! Nail polish....I just make sure I use formaldehyde free ones like OPI!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 8:22 AM on May. 16, 2009

• you're passed the first trimester..you should be ok. to be on the safe side (although there's never been a medical report supporting proof that coloring your hair while prego did harm to a baby), use highlighting/lowlighting, to keep the product off your scalp. make sure you are in a well-ventilated area, so the fumes won't make you nauseous. polishing your nails isn't harmful, either.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:01 AM on May. 16, 2009

• My ob told me it's fine to dye your hair past the first trimester, just stay in a well venitlated room.
    Most dyes nowadys do not have the harsh chemicals they used to.
    As far as painting your toenails, I've never heard anything about it.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 10:15 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Yes painting your nails is fine. What you dont want to do is go to a nail sallon where they use a bunch of harsh chemiclas and it not be well ventilated. As for coloring your hair....Im not sure i did it. And i was about as far as you are. The chemiclas do not get absorbed into your scalp so you should be fine but they have not had any tests that show if it can cause any harm to the baby. Like i said i did it. And my doctor told me that it was fine as long as i dont do it all the time. Im 32 wks now and about to do it agian. I have no idea when ill be able to do it when the baby comes.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• nails - yes, hair- no
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:00 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have dyed my hair with this baby now and with my first, i just get the dye without ammonia thats what i have always heard to do and nails and i would paint my own at home.
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2009

• or go to the vitamin world they have natural dyes I dont know about use it with pregnancy though but you could ask
    Leilany1019

Answer by Leilany1019 at 11:20 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I've never heard about not being able to do your nails but I have heard about hair dyes-the chemicals getting into your skin and being absorbed by your body and your baby.....
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:51 AM on May. 16, 2009