Whats the point with parents not letting kids have a little MAGIC during childhood and letting them believe in Santa, Easter bunny, tooth fairy. etc?

I mean, I did when I was a kid. I wasnt harmed mentally or emotionally.

I do however remember having fond memories of being mystified and excited when one was going to happen.

Why do you feel the need for your child to grow up so quickly? Why cant they have a little fun before they know the truth and enter adult reality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• My children are allowed to make believe anything they want. It's only "make-believe" if they know it isn't the truth. We teach them what we feel is the TRUE meaning of those holidays.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:43 AM on May. 16, 2009

• i guess some mommas had terrible childhoods and like to blame something/someone..why not santa and his cohorts? lol
    i don't get it either.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:48 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm with ReneeK3 on this. I teach my son the true meaning of the Holidays (so no Easter Bunny at our house). I learned this year that my son prefers the secular version of Santa Claus (chimney and all), but I still teach him the truth about Jesus and the role St. Nicholas has at Christmas time as a giver of gifts out of his love of Jesus. As for the rest, my son does believe in magic and has a very vivid imagination. He's very much living out his childhood as a child, not a young adult, regardless of secular imagery used around the holidays. That's not where the magic is.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:50 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I let my son believe.He's 10 now.and he figured it out on his own.But didn't tell me.I asked him last Christmas if he really believed in Santa.And he told me he wasn't sure.I told him the truth.It didn't scar him for life.He just said "okay". and went outside to play with his buddies.But I have also taught him the religious side of the holidays too.I think you tell the child the truth when they figure it out on their own.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 8:59 AM on May. 16, 2009

• winkI'm with the religious emphasis, though we do Santa. I don't do the Easter Bunny; big bunnies weird me out!  Seriously, I've never understood the Easter Bunny; so, that got nixed.  At first, I felt like I wasn't going to do Santa either.  But, I always feel like Santa helps me to explain God to them; after all, the Spirit of Christmas is a VERY basic lesson on the love to/of/from God. But, we limit gifts to 3 from Santa. I have told my family who balk at this practice that if 3 gifts were all that Jesus got on His birthday, who are we to try and out-do Him? LOL! But we also say things like: "There's no such things as monsters, just mean people." And, we make sure they know Harry Potter is "make believe" just like Transformers or Batman. Hopefully, they WON'T end up in therapy behind any of this...

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:43 AM on May. 16, 2009

• We teach our kids the origins of holidays - that's why we don't "celebrate" them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I really don't care what other parents do as long as they don't ruin it for my kids. I get blasted because my kids believe in Santa and the Easter bunny and we celebrate those holidays but we don't believe in god or Jesus. I don't want them believing in those things. Which I find ironic because I see them as myths just like Santa. We all pick and choose what we want in our kids' lives.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:01 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I've just always thought it was mean and wrong to misinform kids. I know you didn't feel this way, but I felt a lot of embarrassment and let down when I found out I was being strung along with these ruses when ever one else knew the truth.

So we are going to build our fun on the other 363 days of the year rather than hang it on just two of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 16, 2009

• because some parents have absolutly no imagination and want the same for thier kids, how pathetic but whatever.
    SxyPanamami83

Answer by SxyPanamami83 at 10:19 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't see why you can't teach your child about Jesus AND Christmas/Easter. My parents did both with me and I grew up fully knowing the true meaning of Easter and Christmas. But still getting to enjoy the magic of Santa and the Easter Bunny.

When I found out Santa Claus didn't exist, I was old enough to already have a feeling about it- but even to this day I still believe in the "Spirit" on Santa, and Christmas is still magical for me in that way as well as spiritual in the fact that we are celebrating Christ's birth.

I fully plan to let my kids believe in those things, and I fully plan to teach my children the real meaning of Christmas. No one said you have to do either or.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:20 AM on May. 16, 2009