PLEASE HELP ME SINGLE MOM!!!

EVERY TIME THAT I LEAVE THE ROOM FOR 1 SECOND JUST TO GO TO THE BATHROOM OR SOMETHING MY 7 MONTH OLD SON STARTS SCREAMING. HOW DO I GET HIM TO NOT DO THIS? IS THIS A PHASE HE WILL GO THROUGH? SINCE I AM A SINGLE MOM OF ONLY ONE CHILD MY HOUSE IS A MESS I CAN'T GET DISHES DONE WHEN I NEED TO I CAN BARELY GET HIS BOTTLES WASHED AND SANITIZED WITHOUT HIM THROWING A HUGE FIT. IVE TRIED TO LET HIM JUST CRY IT OUT BUT HE DOESN'T GIVE UP HE COULD CRY FOR HOURS I KNOW I TRIED. HE HAS EVERY TOY IMAGINABLE! HE WILL ONLY PLAY WITH THEM IF IM IN THE ROOM AND THEN ITS ONLY FOR 5 MINUTES SOMETIMES 10-15 I NEED ADVICE PLEASE IM LOOSING MY MIND............................

zayners

Asked by zayners at 8:38 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• can he see you/hear you when you walk away? try continuing to talk to him...is he getting tummytime with toys/playyard-mobile that can distract him? some babies are more clingy than others, and it could just be a phase he's going through. can you do your chores while he's asleep/not tired/not hungry or wet? is there a way he can be in the room with you, while you do dishes/laundry? can you turn the tv on, give him something to watch..IDK. sorry you're exhausted..babies have a tendency to do that to us. just try to relax, take a breath, and know that this too shall pass.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:52 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I wasn't a single mom when my son was that age, but it felt like it (my SO was always working). My son's favorite thing from about 5 or 6 months until 10 months was his walker (that's when he started to walk). I could put him in it with a couple of toys or a snack and he was able to follow me around. (you might have to help by pulling him along til he gets the hang of it) When I would try and put him down on the floor with toys without me in the room he wouldn't last long. Maybe try a walker (I got mine at a garage sale), a playpen in the kitchen while your trying to cook and clean, or even a favorite video...my son loved Elmo. I know, putting your kid in front of the TV isn't what your supposed to do, but when you're alone without any help you need something to get things done. Anyways, good luck and hope things get better soon, he'll grow out of that phase.
    blueyes581

Answer by blueyes581 at 9:00 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Try setting him in his seat or laying him on a blanket when you are doing other things if he must be in the same room. For the bathroom, perhaps he could be placed just outside the door if it is a small room. Talk to him when you are in another room, or place him so that he can see you- say if you are in the kitchen, place him in the other room so that he sees you, and if you keep talking maybe the distance won't matter. I hope you get some rest, being tired all the time isn't fun.

Answer by Bmat at 9:03 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I CAN PUT HIM IN THE SAME ROOM AS ME SUCH AS WALKER BLANKET SWING BOUNCER SEAT THIS DOES NOTHING I GIVE HIM GAS DROPS TEETHING GEL PACIFIER IF IM NOT HOLDING HIM HE WONT STOP CRYING I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO FOR HIM HE WONT PLAY WITH HIS TOYS HE WILL STAY IN HIS WALKER FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES JUMPAROO 5 MINS HE LOVES BABY EINSTEINS BUT ONLY IF IM IN THE ROOM WITH HIM. HE WILL LOOK BEHIND HIM IN THE RECLINER TO SEE IF IM STILL THERE OR LOOK AROUND THE ROOM TO SEE IF IM STILL THERE IF IM NOT HE FREAKS OUT. IM SO FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW LONG WILL THIS SEPERATION ANXIETY LAST????????? I HAVE TO BE RIGHT IN HIS FACE FOR HIM TO BE HAPPY OR HOLDING HIM YOU CAN'T GET ANYTHING DONE THAT WAY HE IS TOO BIG FOR THE CARRIERS THAT YOU PUT ON YOUR BACK OR CHEST HOW LONG IS IT OKAY TO LET HIM CRY FOR.
    zayners

Answer by zayners at 9:56 AM on May. 16, 2009

• First of all I sympathize with you as there is nothing more difficult then a baby that cries constantly. I have raised four children so I think I can help. First make sure your baby is not suffering from something physical, so see your doctor first. Babies cry for these reasons. Hunger, thirst. diaper, overtired or attention. Attention is critical to a baby as food. If you are stressed and frustrated for lack of time to get things done, or just time for yourself, a baby can pick up on it. Even though you don't mean to, it gives them a feeling of rejection. This will cause a baby to demand it through crying. Remember this is the only language he has right now to tell you something is wrong. If this might be the case try this. Drop everything and spend time that is reassuring to him that he is more important then anything else. Play toys and be silly. Read books. Go to the park. Lots of cuddling time. Continued --
    Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 9:57 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Babies feel secure when they feel they have your full attention.If you don't give it they will demand it through crying. Being a single mom there is no other diversion for him so he is focused on you. This stage is very much a time of need for lots of cuddling and clinging. There is nothing wrong with that. It is normal , he needs you. Forget the house. Now for you. You need help and support. I suggest trying to find a young moms group. Local churches offer them and you don't have to belong . These moms offer you the understanding and support you may need. Often they offer free babysitting. You need to fulfill this need for you to perform as a good mother. This is motherhood I always say not marterhood HA! HA! If this is possibly what is going on I reassure you that when you destress baby will stop the crying. Know that babies do cry for a reason.Once you identify it , you can fix it. I hope I may have helped. aSmile

Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 10:26 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Older babies and toddlers can get really clingy at times, this is a normal part of their development.

Check out all the info at Are you feeling overwhelmed by your child's intense needs?

Lots of tips for dealing with a "velcro baby".

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:01 PM on May. 16, 2009