How can i get my child to stop pooping his paints?

My 5 year old child "Mycah" started pooping his paints when his dad became out of the picture. It was important to our safety for him to be gone and to stay gone, but know it has been almost 4 years and Mycah is still doing it. i have tried mine different tactics to try to get him to stop. I'm really worried that when he goes to school this coming school year, that he will don it at school and get picked on by other kids.... HELP not only that bu i'm really sick of cleaning out nasty under where. Can someone help me please. thank you

jamesarlene

Asked by jamesarlene at 8:49 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he's 5, he should be cleaning his own clothes when he has any accident. However, I'm a bit confused because you say his dad's been gone 4 years - that wouldn't cause this behavior if he's only 5. Maybe you mean 4 months? Either way, stop cleaning his underwear - have him do it. Don't scold him, don't get angry, upset or frustrated. Just calmly and gentry remind him every time that we all have to clean up our own messes. If he doesn't want to clean up the mess, then remind him that's what the potty is for.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:03 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I dont think this is related to his dad being gone.

Take him to the pediatrician to discuss the issue, if no problems are found there and
    If he doesn't have any problems such as autism, or other mental issues than I WOULD begin to get upset. He should be old enough to know better.

I agree with the above poster, let him clean his mess, I would also use a time out.

If the problem isn't resolved by fall. I WOULD HOLD HIM BACK!!!!! If he is still pooping his pants by this time, their MUST be another problem that needs attention.

Sending him to school will only create a HUGE feeling of failure and non acceptance. This could follow him throughout his school days and affect his learning!

(I am a teacher) :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• After trying EVERYTHING with my ss (who is 5 as of March) he STILL pooped and peed in his underwear. So, we moved to drastic measures.....our dd3 and neice2 (whom I babysit and is here all the time so they're all growing up more like siblings than second cousins) are both potty trained and doing GREAT! EVERYDAY ss was peeing and pooping himself (not just outright doing it but holding it soooooo long that he couldn't make it to the potty on time and if he did have an accident he wouldn't tell us, he'd just walk around with wet underwear so we knew the 'wet feeling' didn't bother him) after threatening once and him doing it again we put a diaper on him. Made him wear it, with no clothes on while cleaning up the toys (in front of his little sister and cousin) before lunchtime.....he was humiliated and it WORKED! He hasn't peed himself or pooped himself in 3 weeks! A little humiliation never killed anyone.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Thank you all so much for telling me your ideas, they are great and we did most of them.

we did the "you clean your under where" tactic he thought it was fun to clean his under where in the potty. he really likes water. Matter of fact he began to have more accidents when we had him cleaning his own under pants.

Humiliation done it, he didn't not care... how many times do you do something before you know it's not going to work.

I took him to the Doctor and he had test done and nothing came up. His Doctor told me to give him a spacial toy the he could only play with when he is on the potty. So, Mycah and I went out picked out a cool toy. that worked for about a month. he lost interest in the toy. so I got a new one we are still using it. some days are better then others.

i really don't want to hold him back from school. he is really smart, he as been in classes for 2 1/2. it's a class designed for kids with ADHD.

jamesarlene

Answer by jamesarlene at 12:37 AM on May. 17, 2009

• other then the accident problem he is so ready for school to start. i hate the idea of not having him go to school, but if that is what i have to do i will do it. i sat down with him a had a talk about that. i told him that if he dose not stop having accidents then i will not be able to let him go to school. he acted as tho it was no big deal, but lets see if he changes behavior,

thank you all again for you help if you can thank of any other ideas or no someone that had this problem to, and they were able to get it to end let know what they did

thank you, thank you
    jamesarlene

Answer by jamesarlene at 12:43 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I do daycare and I use stamps for the kids. I have all kinds of cool stamps for them to choose from - including a train that I can roll around their wrists. If a child pees they get a stamp on one arm and if they poop they get a roll around stamp. At the end of the day the child can show his mom or dad his stamps and how well he did. They love it and it has encouraged others to try to earn stamps too.
    With this being YOUR child, perhaps there is something you can give him at the end of the day for earning a certain number of stamps. Maybe you can say that if he keeps his underwear clean all day he can have a treat of some kind at the end of the day (an hour of computer time, a trip to the pool/playground/bike riding... something that you think he'd enjoy and want to earn). That way he gets immediate gratification with stamps - but something to work toward at the end of the day.
    Hope that helps? :)
    Avonlady42

Answer by Avonlady42 at 3:57 AM on May. 17, 2009