Did anyone else hear about this 911 operator?

I was watching the news (can't remember what channel) last night and a story came on about a girl who called 911 for an ambulance because her dad was having a seizure...and the operator hung up on her because she cussed...then when she called back he called her a b****! The recording of this was just insane! She went down to her towns police station to confront the guy and get this: she got arressted for misconduct! The guy got suspended for 2 weeks without pay (the 911 operator was a sheriff or something, so he's the one who arrested her) but I don't think it's enough. It isn't like she was cussing at him, she was upset because of what was going on with her dad. If someone is going to do a job like 911 operating, they should be prepared to deal with highly agitated people. Do you think this guy should lose his job?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:13 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• First i agree with most of the other moms here. He should be F'N fired. Period. No ifs ands or butts. Really. Thats absolutely rediculous. She's scared. or was scared. Her father was dying. I would be cussing to if i had to pick up the phone and call for an ambulance. I would have gotten hystarical if the 9-1-1 operator hung up on me. If he can't hear a little "f word" then he definately is in the wrong job. When a person is scared they're likely to cuss, scream, panic and do somethings they might regret later. That doesn't matter. The first words should have been "What's your emergency?" not berate her for cussing. That was uncalled for. Totally. Then it went completely out of line when he arrested her. Sigh. I hope everything is ok with that family and I am really happy they are suing.
    SweetPixie013

Answer by SweetPixie013 at 11:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• People who work for law enforcement &EMS system should be prepared to deal with agitated people. They can not go to the same level with victim or criminal .

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 16, 2009

• yes he should be fired. I've even heard on news reports about rude 911 operators during a call. They were doing a story on I think it was Nancy Grace about the guy who shot his wife at the movies and her friends and they were playing the 911 calls and I believe it was her who said something about the operator being rude. When somebody sees something like an accident, or is in trouble you can't exactly expect them to make a lot of sense or have perfect recall. That should be part of the training and if they can't deal with that then there are other jobs out there.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 9:21 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Even if she was cursing AT him, thats not right. Her dad still needed help and that was still his job.

JERK needs to be gone!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:26 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Yes, he should be fired. If a person is not ready to deal with the emotional impact of that position than why did they take the job in the first place.
    tish0607

Answer by tish0607 at 9:27 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Working in the field of law enforcement and having been in situations that were more high stress than this one...it is very easy for people to armchair quarterback what should have been done when the situation is over. It happens all the time. Now, that having been said...the 911 operator should be used to having people lose their minds on the phone. He should have handled it better. He also should have contacted a supervisor when the girl arrived at the station instead of him arresting her himself, that makes it look personal instead of an officer doing their job.

You can't say it wasn't like she was cussing at him because she was. Having had that happen many times to me as soon as I get on a scene for any reason, I didn't get there fast enough, I was female, I didn't put up with people cussing at me in public. It's different being a cop. I think the suspension and loss of money is enough.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• If you are a 911 operator you CAN NOT hang up on someone for a cuss word, whether it was directed at you or not. Period.

If the man died, what are you going to say, "well, we would have gotten help there, but the girl called me a b****....., sorry he died"

That just doesn't work! Ridiculous behavior.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:38 AM on May. 16, 2009

• my bf read me the story on a hip-hop site he goes to -- thats just a damn shame ... my bf's friend also tried to get me a job as a 911 dispatcher ... although i would'nt do wtf he did , i just cant handle it , i would be too emotional ... but this guy needs to be back puttin in applications if u ask me!
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 9:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UrmnS60420

Actual call and his lying ass on it.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:05 AM on May. 16, 2009

• You could be a 911 opperator. Believe me, it's rarely emotional. Most people call because they're mad at someone, because they want legal advice, because they want a medication refill, because their kids are hungry and they forgot to feed them and whatever else dumb reason you can think of. 911 opperators are abused into the ground. I think that's why a lot of them can be so mean and get sick of it. Now I know this from my husband's experience in EMS in several large CITIES. Rural towns may not have the same problem but 911 abuse in cities is REDICULOUS.

The story here is nothing new. It happens all the time. You should see the way that some 911 opperators speak to On-Star employees. If you fired every 911 Opperator for this, entire cities would have to shut down EMS just to re-hire EMS opperators lol.

Again, not ALL EMS opperators but the ones my husband has worked with were no different than this guy.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:13 AM on May. 16, 2009