how can i get my 9month old to want to eat solids more? she wants to nurse all the time. every time we feed her solids it's a hassle and then she eventually gives in.

Saniyasmom8908

Asked by Saniyasmom8908 at 9:40 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just make it your goal to feed or 2 or 3 bites each time you sit her down for solids. It takes a while to get the hang of it, so start off really small. By a couple of weeks she should be eating pretty well. It always surprises me when the finish off that first jar or bowl of food! It seems to take a while to get their though.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:58 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Have you tried letting her play with it? By 9 months, my ds had gone on a baby food strike and the only way I could get solids in him was to let him self feed. He's 11 months now and still only eats finger foods. He will let me spoon feed him maybe 2 or 3 bites per meal, but eats like a pig if he can do it himself.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:11 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Under 1 year old she should be nursing first anyway. She doesn't "need" solid food at this point, she's just practicing. Then after 1 year you go to solids first nursing after.

Each child is different some just take longer to want the solids.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2009

• by 12 months they only need 25% of their diet to be solids at the most...just offer and give her what she will take..9 months is a growth spurt so thats why she is nursing lots
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:56 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Follow her lead! Right now the breastmilk is more nutrient dense and higher in fat and calories than most of the foods she can eat. Some people may tell you to, but restricting breastfeeding will NOT get her to eat more!

Let her nurse as much as she wants, and keep offering solids. Put her in her highchair when you have meals and give her bits of food on her tray that she can pick up and feed herself.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My son is the same way (he's 9 months) i'm not tooo worried since he is healthy and i know nursing is the main thing til a year old, so.. i let him play with a spoon and try and feed him, if he doesnt want it, i dont force it. we just started meats.. and he loves it!
    Anonymous