first floor bedrooms....

my daughters bedroom is on the first floor. Im nervous to leave the windows open in there because lately theres been a few home invasions during the night in our area so im afraid for her safety...

so my question is do you parents whos kids rooms are on the first floor get nervous about leaving the windows open and just not open them?...do you use anything like those alarms they sell for the windows?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• During the day I don't mind having windows open, but at night I don't like my kids windows open all the way. Our windows have 'stops' on them--- which allows them to be opened about 1inch or so and then with the stops out you can't open it more. At night I will put the stops on when they are open.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:56 AM on May. 16, 2009

• My 3yo's room is on the 1st floor and we leave her window open. But it's like 5 1/2-6 feet off the ground and you would need a ladder to climb into it. My room is right across the hall and I leave the window open all summer long. To get to the window you have to go through our 5' high gate which makes a huge racket when opened.

If it isn't super hot in her room I usually close it. All the windows have built in safety latches on them that only allow them to open a couple inches. Funny...I'm not even sure if her window is locked. I know mine isn't and the living room windows hardly ever get locked (and they are much easier to get into...I used to climb in them myself when I got home late). Then again we rarely lock our front door and it is open all summer long unless the air is on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:57 AM on May. 16, 2009

• We have locks on the windows to prevent them being opened more than a few inches. They are very simple to install and can be purchased at any hardware store.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:12 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My windows have a lock on them to where they only about 1-2 inches but most of the time I will not keep the window open b/c I think my kids may try to jump out. Its not a far fall but still its not safe. So to avoid the accident i just keep them locked
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 3:43 PM on May. 16, 2009