my daughter graduates high school this year, wants a 2-week trip to europe, by herself , any thoughts on this?

She is 18, not too independent, but very smart(going to college in fall for pre-med)we do know some people in germany she will be able to stay with some of the time

BIZZ-E-MOM

Asked by BIZZ-E-MOM at 10:05 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't know, I guess your situation would depend on how much I could trust the environment my daughter would be going to, and if I felt my daughter could handle any situation she may be put into, good or bad.

More so, after high school I would probably prefer we go together since the rest of her life she'll have away from me to grow and be herself, but that is a mark to an end when they hit 18 and are able to be considered adults. It's a new beginning for them and you (now not having a dependant child), but it is sadly the farewells to childhood and initiation to adulthood. I may suggest a mother daughter trip where we explore, shop, and do things together. To me that would be more enjoyable, memorable, and something that would be imprinted years after she's left home, graduated collage, married, had children, and is working too many hours to come see me. She'll always have our trip to Europe to remember.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:20 PM on May. 16, 2009

• She's 18, she is a big girl and if it's something she wants to do, I don't see a problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I think it would be a great experience for her.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:06 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't allow that.

Think about the movie "Taken".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 16, 2009

• She is too young and too inexperienced to travel that distance into unfamiliar customs on her own. There are predators in bus and airline terminals, and on the streets, who would be delighted to see a very young lady on her own. If she had a traveling companion, a classmate or friend, for example, then maybe... but a recently graduated from high school young woman, without someone she knows and trusts along with her, would be asking for problems.

Answer by Bmat at 10:19 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I was just thinking about that movie too! Ppl are out there watching for young American girls alone and that type of story is too real. If you do let her go just make sure someone meets her at the airport and guides her. Tell her to NOT speak to strangers no matter what but PLEASE have her watch that movie. Personally the only place I'd let my dd go alone is to Scotland. They do backpacking there and it's a safe place. Their hostels are clean and safe and the trains and buses are on time. There are some tour groups like http://www.haggisadventures.com/ for young folks to travel and enjoy yet be with others and be safe and have fun.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on May. 16, 2009

• My 12 year old leaves for france in 38 days with a small group of 10 others plus leaders so I'd say if she has a friend or 9 to travel with let her go but if it is just her I may rethink it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Have you thought about maybe one of those guided tours? That way she would be with a group and still "on her own". Yes, they are a bit limiting (where you are going and what your doing) but it would be a good compromise. They do have some time that is on your own (like an afternoon) but there would be people who would know if she failed to show up at a certain time. I think it would also depend on where you live currently. Big city or small town, I am a small town girl, and I maybe wrong but big city kids do have some advantages especially when dealing with traveling. If she does go, I would sit down with her and her schedule and go over laws of that country so she doesn't run into any legal problems on accident, make sure she attends some self defense courses too.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 10:31 AM on May. 16, 2009

• i think you should let her do it!! i mean the only reason i say is because i am young and when i graduated some friends and i had a trip planned!!! i was almost 19 andout of respect i asked my mother if i could go and she told me no!!! well honestly i told her i really could just go i am an adult and there is nothing she could do if i did go!!! i still didnt go because i felt guilty and i was so mad at her for that!! but yeah let her go and just talk to her before she goes you really cant tell her what to do but you can talk to her and just let her know that while she is there that there are things that you think she should and shouldnt do!!! and just guide her in the best direction!!
    YoungMomE

Answer by YoungMomE at 10:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Being an American and traveling abroad during this time in history...we have decided not to let our daughter make the same type of trip. She is now looking into something within the US for her trip and my son is going to DC next year (7th grade) where I will be chaperoning.

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 10:41 AM on May. 16, 2009