I got drunk, how long do I pump and dump for?

My girlfriend and I went out last night, she breast feeds and wants to know when she is able to breastfeed again. Thank you in advance :)

dakotaNrye

Asked by dakotaNrye at 10:34 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if she drank beer then she's ok.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:36 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Ahh, thank you but I thought it was implied when I said "drunk" she drank way more than a beer....
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:39 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Is the alcohol in beer any different than the alcohol in liquor? lol. I don't understand why she's OK if she drank beer.

Pumping and dumping is useless because the alcohol will leave the breast milk when it leaves her system. She ought to have only had one serving of alcohol per every two hours. If you have one serving and wait two hours, the chances are that the alcohol is out of your system. Since she was drunk, I have no idea how many servings were in what she had, how drunk she was, how fast her liver has processed the alcohol and how long it has been...I don't know what to tell you. If were to get drunk, I'd probably go a 12-24 hours withou BFing to be on the safe side.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:41 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Thank you November :) My girlfriend asked me and when I said I don't know, she was like "Get on cafemom!!" She knows how much I used to get on here! I really appreciate it :P
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 10:45 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Sober to drive sober to nurse...if shes not feeling anything besides the headache from dehydration she can nurse...tell her to get some gatorade or smart water and nruse that baby...this is from IBCLC and LLL...

read this
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

pump and dump is only necessary if the baby misses alot of feedings because you still feel drunk
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:55 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When you are drunk Who takes care of your baby? good Job mommy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Anon 10:57 -She went out one time.....cut her some slack, I am sure she was responsable enough to have thought ahead and had care for her child! Not all of us are single mom's, there are dads out there who step up and give us moms a break like taking care of their child while us moms have 1 night a year to have some me time!
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 11:10 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Anonymous... she found a babysitter, obviously. God, even GREAT moms need to get out every now and then. And she obviously cares about her daughter, or she wouldn't care whether it would affect her breast milk!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Anon :57
    She's a breastfeeding mother, doesn't mean she's dead.

just because YOU don't have a life............................
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 11:15 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Trashy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 16, 2009