How can I get my breastfed daughter to use the bottle?

My daughter is 3 months old and is not interested in using the bottle. She doesn't mind fooling around with it in her mouth, but won't suck on it and any milk that gets in her mouth dribbles right out.

wtfarmmom

Asked by wtfarmmom at 10:38 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Generally BF babies refuse to drink from a bottle if mom gives it or mom is around, why take stale cookies when fresh baked are right there, kwim?

If you need her to take one when you leave or go to work or something, leave the baby and the bottle with someone near feeding time(take your pump with you and pump for the missed feeding) and just be close enough you can return if she absolutely refuses the bottle...

A baby will not starve themselves but many will wait it out for mom to get home. Don't refuse the breast for the bottles, this will cause nipple preference and means she will begin refusing the breast.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:52 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm with the PP
    I was lucky, I got to take my son to work with me while he was still nursing, so I never had to bother with bottles.
    I hope everything works out for you! Maybe if you're not around and someone else is giving the bottle, she'll give in. But if you're there in the room, I can imagine she's thinking "gimme some booby, mom!" ; )
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 11:13 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the input! I was worried I was doing something wrong. first time mom you know!
    wtfarmmom

Answer by wtfarmmom at 11:25 AM on May. 16, 2009