Desperately Need to Lose Weight!

I'm thinking of joining weight watchers...but would like your input on an economical approach to weight loss (and healthy eating). I'm finally getting my "head in the game" and really need to get to my proper and healthy size. Your thoughts, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

AislinnAsparas

Asked by AislinnAsparas at 10:45 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I had a friend in college who joined weight watchers, and it really helped her out! But then she quit and fell right back into her old habits, so she gained all the weight back again.

I don't know much about losing weight, but I do have a few useful tips for you (they keep me in shape as far as I can tell)
    1. NEVER skip breakfast.
    2. Snack through lunch on healthy snacks.
    3. Drink a large glass of water before every meal- it will fill you up.
    4. Don't buy "diet" or "sugar-free" or "low-carb" or "low-cal" anything. If you want to eat dessert, go with the real deal. Don't try to trick yourself that you're eating something healthy when you're not.
    5. NEVER DRINK DIET SODA. They are packed with artificial sweeteners that have been proven to cause cancer in EVERY SINGLE LAB STUDY. AND- new studies suggest they actually contribute to obesity, not the other way around.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 10:55 AM on May. 16, 2009

• ALSO- before you attempt a diet and exercise routine, CLEANSE your body.
    You can do this by fasting for a few days or buying an herbal cleanse from an organic grocer.

Fat stores toxins in your body, protecting your vital organs. When you have a lot of toxins in your system, it doesn't matter how much you diet and work out-- your body doesn't want to let go of those fats that store the toxins.

While you're flushing your body of all the toxins (I recommend fasting for a few days and drinking lots of water... eating some raw, organic fruits and vegetables) You're going to feel like you're in detox- you'll feel sick and tired and cranky and horribly hungry (so you'll need a few days off work.)
    BUT- once you're finished, and you get one good meal in you, you'll feel AMAZING- full of energy, not too hungry anymore, not tired. Colors will even be brighter! It's incredible. It really makes a difference.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 11:02 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm doing Weight Watchers and loving it. I have posted in several threads in the last few minutes if you want to browse. It costs me $13 per week, totally worth it!
    haston

Answer by haston at 2:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, and really hard on your body. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    First, start walking! Walk for at least 20 minutes, three times a week. Now, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Next, eat your fruits and veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Add beans, lentils, and tofu to your diet. Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I am doing WW right now and it does work. You have to look at it as not a diet but a new way of life. The program will teach you how to eat properly. It will teach you things like portion control and how to eat better carbs. I do not find it to be gimmicking, but you can not just stop eating healthy when you reach you goals.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 4:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would seriously try the Eat Clean Diet. It is about eating as close to the earth as possible, No processed foods, or refinded sugars or flours.

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/
    Anonymous

• Weight Watchers is a fabulous program. I've been a personal trainer and nutritionist for the last 10 years, and often reffer my clients to them. I like that they allow you to eat your favorite foods - just keeping portions under control through their point system.

Go for it!!
    KickButtMama

Answer by KickButtMama at 11:50 AM on May. 17, 2009