please help me...

My baby is 9 month old and teething. he bits me all the time and I want to start give him formula. but he does not take it. should I let him get really hungry than he'll take it. I don't feel good at all when I see him crying and he is hungry. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• work on breaking the biting instead....they only bite when they are not hungry, if they are sucking the can not bite, the teeth can put pressure but not bite, when he bites say NO and put him down and refuse to nruse, theres a post called when babies attack in the breastfeeding moms group. Why go all this time without formula just to give it now only 3 months away...you can break this habit!
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:14 AM on May. 16, 2009

• All you need to do is:

-Stop laughing or smiling when he bites you. Yes, I know it's weird to start here, but *I* used to laugh when my eldest bit me - it was almost like it was funny. It quickly got unfunny.
    -At the same time, be careful not to scream - there's a thing called a nursing strike that happens often after a mom screeches getting bit.
    -Practice breaking his hold on your nipple. You might have to put some pressure in if he's really chomping down. Say "NO" firmly, add, "Biting hurts Mama" and hand him something he can bite. Usually he'll cry the first few times. Set him down and get up immediately - let him know nursing time is DONE.
    Rinse and repeat. Even my autistic daughter got this routine very quickly, and the twins only bit me twice each.

In the case of a severe bite (I once lost a third of one nipple to a strong bite from my eldest): use Lansinoh and express regularly (and gently) by hand. It heals!
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 11:46 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Some great tips already, more at When Baby Bites

It is probably easier to stop the biting then to try and get him to take a bottle at this point!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:53 PM on May. 16, 2009