How can you parent correctly if.........

You are on the computer 8-12 hrs a day? I saw another question on here about how much time you spend on the computer during the day and I was surprised to hear how much time mothers spent on the computer! I understand if you have to work on the computer, but for a SAHM to spend that much time on the computer? Do you think you can be a good parent and spend 8-10 hours messing around on the computer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• well for me, I have a newborn so he sleeps most of the day, and I also have a 14 yr old, so he is at school, at a friends, or asleep as well. When my kids need me, I drop everything to be there for them.Including CM.
    But I think about that too especially when I see the moms that spend hours in a row causing drama in this section particularly. You know the ones who fight back and forth in the responses...I wonder if there kids are standing there wanting her attn.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Nope, children need quality time and quantity as well, if a mom stays that long in the pc by choice then, I think she got her priorities missed up.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:24 AM on May. 16, 2009

• How do you know that they were all SAHMs? Could their kids be at school?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on May. 16, 2009

• They need advice LOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I completely agree with you. The only time im ever on this computeris when my childs is sleeping or playing with her father. I work outside of the home and don't see my DD alot through the week and i want ever minute with her i enjoy playing with her. I to was suprise how much time moms spend on her in a day. I wrote in and who is watching your child if your on the computer that much in a day. Thank for asking this question and im interested to see what moms have to say about this. Have a great day. :)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Don't be so quick to judge. Several moms are sick, have kids in school all day, plenty of reasons they're able to be online for that long. I'm sure there are things you do as a parent that others wouldn't find "correct" as well.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• how can u be a good person and spend that much time on the computer. do these people mean they are signed online that long cause i may be signed on that long too but im only actully online about 2 hours a day maybe less. if you have to do the computer for work then mabey you are signed in for 12 hours a day but 8 hours at work you only get activly online for what 40 mins manbey less i think this poll was a bit wrong
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 11:43 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Perhaps the mom's that are on for that long have children that are in school, sick, or are on bedrest..... Could be a factor of many!! I never log out much of certain sights-but doesn't mean I'm on them 24/7..... When my children need me, I tend to them, etc.! Could be many different factors of why they are on or log in for such long amounts of time....
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:48 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I'd probably end up answering the same, even if I'm only "on" the computer for 5 minutes of an hour, typing out a response a few words at a time between chores and kid chasing.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 11:50 AM on May. 16, 2009

• I have tons of time to be on the computer. ALso you will notice that I am not logged in from 3 to 8 in the evenings. My kids are at school. I have one 3 yr old at home and him and I do things together and we do things separate. So I have plenty of time. Not all of us have 5 kids at home tearing up our house while we are chatting away on the pc.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:28 PM on May. 16, 2009