what is colic and how will i be able to tell if my baby has it?

I've grown up in a big family and ive heard my mom tell me that my sister have colic and that they are sick. the only thing i could ever tell is that they were coughing. So how can i tell if my baby has colic or just has a simple cough?

jessiesosore

Asked by jessiesosore at 11:25 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh they don't cough, they SCREAM and cry and arch their back. It is non-stop in the evening and sometimes all day. Nothing you do will calm them. My 2nd born had colic. You could tell the little guys stomach hurt him. He still has digestive issues at times. I have never heard of coughing! If your baby does have colic, talk to your pediatrician. They are now giving medicine for it. I told my doctor that it was my sons stomach. I was given drops to give him and they were a big help. Didn't cure it but only a few hours of crying!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:30 AM on May. 16, 2009

• no colic isnt a cough. it's basically long periods of crying/screaming. could be from reflux or trapped gas. it's still being researched, but doctors are more familiar with it now: symptom-wise and treatment-wise. not all babies have it! ask the pediatrician!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:32 AM on May. 16, 2009

• Colic is nighttime crying due to stomach pain - it's sharp, high pitched, terrible, and hard to soothe. You CAN soothe it, but it will take probably more than an hour for her to drop off a few minutes to sleep and she'll be back up with gas.

It usually starts at 4 pm. It can go on past midnight.

Stock up on: Gripe water or gas drops, crossword puzzle or word search magazines, lace up your walking shoes, run your vacuum with baby on your shoulder, try a baby sling, a baby swing if it's safe to use (there are cradle swings) and learn the "colic hold" from askdrsears.com - and colic shouldn't drive you crazy.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 11:40 AM on May. 16, 2009

• believe me you will know. he will cry inconsolably for hours, this high-pitched screech that could possibly shatter windows. nothing helped my son, he outgrew it at 7 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:56 AM on May. 16, 2009

• The official definition of colic is:
    A baby cries for no apparent reason for more than 3 hours a day, for more than 3 days a week, for more than 3 weeks.

If it's a cough, it's not colic.
    If it's gas pains, it's not colic.
    If it's an upset tummy, it's not colic.

All of those are miserable to live through but there is a reason the baby is so upset. With colic, you have NO IDEA why the baby is crying and it's next to impossible to get the baby to stop crying until he darn well feels like it. And it's not an "I'm uncomfortable" or an "I'm hungry" cry - it's a horrible high pitched scream. It's not an inconvience... it's a living hell.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You are thinking of CROUP. Colic is the inconsolable crying.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:35 PM on May. 16, 2009