Tools or No Tools??(Pagan Moms)

I have just started reading a few Pagan books. One is called "Magickal Self-Defense" by Kerr Cuhulain. In it he states that you don't really need tools in magickal workings. He's not totally "against" them, he just says that magickal tools aren't really necessary. He says your best defense is your mind and how you use it.

Do you use alot of tools in your workings? Or do you just do your magickal workings "on the spot" so to speak sans stones, candles and athame?

I wonder too if stones and all the tools used in ritual are kind of like "magickal training wheels" that once you are an adept you no longer need them. I personally find my stones to be very protective, along with a smudge stick for cleansing and have a triple Goddess Necklace from a dear friend of mine that I never remove.

Your thoughts?? I guess i'm just curious to see how others view their magickal tools when it comes to doing ritual.

Thanks! :)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 11:33 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly? It varies. If I'm doing something for my kids, for example, I'm more likely to use the physical extensions. It comforts them, and gives them something tangible that they can focus on. My older son is starting to understand that they are simply extensions, but my younger one is not nearly old enough to get that. So, we use them. Also, I think it depends in part on if you are asking a stone, for instance, for help or just using it to focus your own will. Different things have different properties, and can come in quite useful to amplify certain workings. It also depends on where you are personally at that moment. If you're scatterbrained, like I am when I get off work, then perhaps the physical focus will help you concentrate. I personally use a lot of candles. I enjoy working out the correspondances, and it helps me focus my intent more concisely. It allows me the time to concentrate wholy on the task at hand. :)
    Kaialee

Answer by Kaialee at 12:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I'd like to add here that if you are non-Pagan please refrain from any bashing or preaching here. If you like to learn more about our path you are welcome to join in with questions or comments. thank you.

Blessings!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:34 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When I was doing a formal thing I used tools.
    Mostly tho I just light candles and use oils on occasion.

How I feel inside and the energy I use is my strongest tool. I suppose I dont need tools but like having them around LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:44 AM on May. 16, 2009

• When I do a more formal type of working I will tools such the herbs, candles, maybe my pot for burning and writing materials...
    But I have done and feel that my workings are just as strong without the tools.
    Using the energies around me and the intent of what is in need.

I persoanally do not think that tools are needed all the time. The Magick is within you/us (anyone) you just need to learn how to tap into it and learn how to direct it.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:07 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I go both ways with tools. When I can, I use them, candles, stones, herbs, everything. They help me focus and get into the right state of mind. However, when it is something stir of the moment I go ahead without them. Often a pen & paper are the only tools I use.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:08 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Amost forgot. I do not think of tools as training wheels or something that I will eventually get rid of. I think the properties of the things I use add energy to my intent, so while they help with focus and state of mind in the way a training device would, they also actually help. I may not "need" them I will always find them valuable.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:12 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I use tools that have found me during my journey. You don't need them, but I know I like to use somethings during ritual. I don't use all of the regalia, since I have not found all of my tools yet.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I have all the tools,stones,ruins,candles yup, you name it I had it..

Back when I 1st started in 1983, I used to be absolutely paranoid that if I forgot a stone, oak leaves, anything I felt that was supposed to be on the altar, that the God/dess would think I was dishonoring them in some way.

Now, I only pull out " the works" if I feel I absolutely need it. Like for a wiccaning ceremony, handfasting ceremony, ect.

However I have learned along my path that I did not need "the works" for spur of the moment rituals or for Full Moon/Full Moon rituals.

Now I simply connect/honor my deities by doing a varity of things, taking a walk, gardening, burning sage, carrying a stone, giving thanks prior to eating, lighting a tea candle anything I feel is needed at that time..

BB

witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 2:05 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would say go with whatever feels comfortable to you. I don't have many "tools" around my home. But then again I have four kids who would love to just get their tiny hands on such things too. I find I do ok without them. I am certainly not against anyone who chooses to use them however and I may get more things as the kids get older and learn not to touch every little thing brought thru the door.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:13 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Thanks for your answers, they are all great.....!! Interested to hear from others too! Will post more later, but I have to get ready for work. :)

B.B.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:53 PM on May. 16, 2009