• In the Spotlight:

What's with Spring Cleaning?

Who made this horrible past time and why? Unfortunately I've become accustomed to it and can't help it. But I still hate it!!

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 11:57 AM on May. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Whoever it was needs to die. LOL!
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My take of it is that after spending all the time in your home during the winter, it's time to open up the windows and let some sun shine in. It's kind of like doing the same thing with your home. Getting rid of all that winter stuff and bringing sun in. I hate it to, but unfortunately, something compels me to do it. I don't even realize I am doing it really. I just wake up one spring morning and think, "Man this house is awful, I have got to do something different"! So, I usually clean and rearrange. I actually did the rearranging last night. It makes me so happy! (yeah, I am sick, I know)
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:00 PM on May. 16, 2009

• LOL I hate it too. I guess it's to clear out all the clutter we made during the winter
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 12:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Our foremothers lived in houses with coal or wood heat. These put grime on everything in the house over the winter. So they had to wash down the walls and ceilings and also clean out everything in the closets and cupboards. Completely refreshing everything in the house in the spring made them feel good and got rid of the staleness and dirt from the winter fuel burning.

Answer by Bmat at 12:04 PM on May. 16, 2009

• MY HOUSE IS OFFICIALLY SPOTLESS AS OF 15 MINUTES AGO!!!! Sorry just had to shout that out, it really is though it has taken me a week everything is dusted all rugs and curtains are washed!!!!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 12:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It's a very, very old tradition. Long ago, people were pent up in their houses through the long cold winter. When the warm weather came it was time to air out the house, wash the curtains, beat the rugs, wash the windows. Spring cleaning was a fact of life not a tradition invented liked a holiday.
    Anonymous