What to do about a 17 year old who doesn't seem to want to drive?

My oldest daughter is 17 (will be 18 in September). We got her the permit book when she was 16 and she took no interest in studying it. After a year and a half of the book just sitting here, my Husband told her that he was taking her to take her test and that she better study the book. She probably picked it up twice and failed the test. My Husband just took her again this morning (and she knew a week in advance but didn't pick up the book until last night and set it back down after 5 mins) She failed the test again. This girl just got a 100% on a Calculus test so learning what's in the book isn't the problem but I don't know what the problem is. Has anyone ever gone thru this? I don't know what to do, she has to learn how to drive and it's weird to me that she doesn't have any interest in driving. Help??

MrsHart6

Asked by MrsHart6 at 12:25 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• What's wrong with her not wanting to learn how to drive?
    Anonymous

• My husband's aunt dd was like that, she was fearful of driving but now she loves it once she discover the freedom and independence that driving will bring into her life. Leave it alone, she will figure out soon that a car and the right to drive can only enhance her life.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:28 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Put her in driver's ed.
    Anonymous

• My cousin who is twelve years my junior is the same way. She was nineteen before she finally got comfortable with driving. They live in Houston and honestly with how people drive it is scary for a thirty year old much less someone who is just learning how to drive. My aunt finally told her no more rides. You can either get a ride, or start using mass transit. Maybe if she has to start riding the bus everywhere, she will pick that book up and study with abandonment! Sometimes the baby need a bit of a nudge to get out of the nest, lol.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I actually know a woman who will be 24, we went to high school together, she still doesn't have her license...she has a fear of driving! I have heard that a lot of people go through this, they don't want to drive because they are afraid! I would sit down and talk to her, and ask what the problem is. Let her know that driving is a part of growing up and becoming more independent, sit and look at the book with her, and talk about the lessons in it.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 12:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I didn't get my license till 19. Be happy, this isn't  anything you should push on her..it's a privilege anyway not a right. Plus it will keep your insurance down and she can use public transportation.

Anonymous

• maybe she knows she is not responsible enough yet, and if thats the case, be proud that you have a daugher that understands that, maybe she is lazy and she doesnt want to drive her sisters or bothers around or run erronds for you. Has she ever known anyone that died in a car accident? even just a person she went to school with, doesnt even have to be a friend- Dont push it on her, she will drive when she is ready-
    Anonymous

• I was afraid to drive. Leave her alone, stop driving her places. She will be fine.
    Anonymous

• I didn't get my permit until I was almost 17. After seeing my cousin's car that he was killed in, I had no desire to drive. My parents finally made me get my driver's license my senior year. I would just sit down and talk to you daughter to see why she doesn't want to drive. Respect her wishes but at the same time let it be known that you may not be able to drive her everywhere she wants to go. The time will come when she is ready to drive, until then be thankful that you know she is safe and sound at home.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:24 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't drive. It has not harmed me in any way. Cars are bad for the planet and we would all be better off without them. Let the child be; she will find her own way around.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on May. 16, 2009