Need some advice about a new family...

I need some advice on how to choose a new family for my puppy. A little background-we have 1 puppy we need to find a home for. My husband promised the puppy to a friend of his when it was only 1 day old. I really don't want to give him the puppy. The guy has 4 children (so do I'm not being disrespectful), rents a house and now finding out that some of the children are having issues with lead levels so they maybe moving b/c of it. I am afraid the puppy will have lead issues. Then I have another guy who is 28, single, and buying a new home. He has already bought a dog bed, set a room aside for the pupy, found a vet and named the pup Augustus. (I have said I'm not deciding for a couple of weeks.) I know the puppy was promised to the 1st guy, but I think the 2nd guy will have more time and energy for the puppy. Not to mention the extra money to help with the vet bills. Thank you for reading, but what choice would you make??

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 12:44 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Pets

• The second guy. You need to put the puppy in the best home possible regardless of what was promised. He will get over it, or he wont. That animals deserves to go to a good home with an owner that is going to take care of him.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm sure the 1st guy will take care of the puppy. He is a great guy. I just think his plate is fuller than the single guy. Dh and I have been having words over this for a couple of weeks. He thinks I am being selfish since the 1st guy has been excited for the past few weeks. I am just worried the puppy is going to be a bigger dog that they will not like it once it gets full grown.
    Also would it be weird to ask whom ever we give the pup to to come over and hang out with the mom and puppies to see how they respond to the dogs? Things like all the fur, drool, and energy level, etc.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 1:29 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would pick the second guy. For one thing you said the first guy is probably going to have to move. Who's to say he's going to find a new place that is pet friendly. Secondly, the issue with the lead levels. I wouldn't want my kids or dogs living in that environment. Without looking it up, I don't know what the effects from lead are, but I would imagine that the guy needs to worry more about getting his kids healthy again than having to deal with a new puppy. His kids' health is where he needs to be putting his energy. If you husband just won't budge and you do end up giving it to the first guy, I would make out a contract that said that if for any reason he needs to get rid of the dog, he has to return it to you, where you can find it a good home. You should be able to google breeder contracts to find samples of others that do this.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:47 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Thank you for your opinions, I am going to use them over the next couple of weeks to push for guy #2. I am just talking to a wall trying to discuss this with my dh right now. I definitely like the contract idea I'll have to look that up.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i would say the second guy. When my dogs had puppies back in january i was so picky. There was someone who sounded very excited about the pup and when she got here i didnt feel comfortable at all and told her to let me know if she decided on the pup and when she did i had already found her a home. I dont think you can be too careful. Def do a spay/neuter contract along with the "if something happens contract" and do a vet reference check. I wish i had gone that far with the pups i adopted out but hey ya live and ya learn
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• In the interest of the best thing for the dog, home him with the second guy. Just tell the first guy that since hes thinking about moving, it will be harder and more expensive for him to find a place that allows dogs, so you thought it would be better not to throw more on his plate right now.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• you made a hasty promise but i think if you back off now your looking for your husband to have an angry friend and thats not cool. i don't know what i would do.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:46 PM on May. 16, 2009

• second guy for sure
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 1:22 AM on May. 17, 2009