Do anyone save favorite toys for their grandchildren to use someday?

I have a very few amount of my kids toys that they are outgrowing that I'd like to save for grandchildren. It will be such a looonnnnggg time, is that silly? Also, would they be ok in a box or should I tote them?

pbjmoore

Asked by pbjmoore at 12:56 PM on May. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That is very silly, haven't you ever seen the show "Clean House" it's about people like you who save everything and it turns their home into a disaster. Give those toys to children who don't have any. That's what we did, we gave all of our kids out grown toys to kids in need. It made us feel good knowing they're not just sitting in a bucket collecting dust. Plus who is to say your grand children will even like those toys, they're in style now so give them to kids who don't have any?
    Anonymous

• I don't think its silly..If you have the room go for it..I would put them in a tote though..to keep moisture, mice and other stuff away! I had a hard time getting rid of all of the boys' baby blankets..I am keeping a few..For what??? I have no idea! Maybe my grandchildren! : )
    calaid

Answer by calaid at 1:04 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh good lord...It looks as though you cannot escape the drama any where...
    calaid

• Oh my kids are 4 and 8 and I have never saved a single toy for them.....so it;s not like I'm a pack rat! Guess I should clear that up. I just have their Fisher Price Little People Farm that both of them loved and cherished throughout younger years. But they are done with it now so my husband and I thought it would be a good one to hold onto. I don't have a single item of clothing from baby years! lol I guess I do have each of theirs 'baby blanket" but they STILL sleep with those!
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 1:19 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Do it. When I was younger, my cousins, brother and I loved to go dig through the attic to see what kind of "new toys" from my mom and uncles was up there from when they were our age.

Just don't do it to an extreme point where it takes over your house!
    Anonymous

• I will hold onto the Barbies and Transformers from our kids. Not just to give to G-kids but if they are ever worth anything in the future I can provide for our family by selling them and if they're not then our g-kids will enjoy them either way! lol
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:10 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I save certain toys that have special meanings... like his toy that he got on his first vacation... the first toy he ever had, his favorite baby toy... just anything that i think is special... I don't know if I am necessarily saving them for grandkids, but that is not a silly idea IMO... i think it is a neat idea!
    orionsmom1

Answer by orionsmom1 at 2:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't think you are silly, but you should pack them in a tote. I have packed up the f-price town (barn, zoo, garage)and people. We have the very old f-price lighthouse and school playset the kids love it. I am even packing the chunky star wars guy once they are done playing with them.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 7:19 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My MIL saved almost EVERY toy from her boys. She brings them out when they're age-appropriate, then restores them for the great-grandchildren someday. They're all in near perfect condition and in original boxes. I've looked up the value on some of them, and was horrified to even let my kids play! They're really valuable! But, she says she saved them for the grandkids to play with and that if they made it through two boys, they can make it through two more kids. Anyways, I think it's kind of neat. My kids each have their own trunk, where I store special items such as the newspaper from the day they were born, the outfit I brought them home from the hospital in, small special toys, baby books, etc.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:04 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I don't think its silly. Every grandparent needs a supply of toys on hand. My son kept his toys and now he gave some of them to his son.
    Anonymous