Credit Card Holders Bill of Rights Act of 2009 defeated. What do you think about this?

The Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2009 is dead thanks to the Senate.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00191

Friday

Asked by Friday at 1:17 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good! I know it sounds like a good idea but good GOD can we keep the gov't out of ANYTHING?! Credit cards are optional. I know b/c we don't have any. We did, and realized that they can do all those crappy things congress is trying to stop them from doing, so we got rid of them. SEE no big gov't needed just personal responsibility. It's not like they don't spell out all the sh*tty things they do, people jus don't want to read all the fine print.

HOWEVER, I DO wish something would and could be done about how important your credit score is.  There are so many outside influences that you have no control over that affect what your score is.  It is also insanely easy to steal peoples identity...THAT is something worth having something done about.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Why in the hell would they say NO?!?!?! What the hell is wrong with these people....This is a great way to help people get out of debt, they would have a flat rate and be able to pay it off, that would help get Americans back on track. This rich assholes get on my nerves, I hope they know we pay their bills!! I think they're just trying to be assholes by saying no. Hopefully there can be a turn around!! But who knows!! We'll see.
    Anonymous

• I agree momof030404 that we have no control over our credit scores. My step-dad is trying to buy another house and he just found out someone bought two cars with his identity 2 months ago and they havn't paid any bills. It's really sad. Not only that by my DH has a medical bill from when he was 13 that his dad was to pay but now that he's an adult it's on his credit and they want him to pay it. When we tried to rent they told us no until they found out the bill was from when he was younger. But his credit score is still low because of that stupid bill that is gaining interest. It really sucks and he did nothing wrong.
    Anonymous

• Looking at the actual vote, and seeing the sheer number of D's that voted against it, too, leads me to believe someone slipped something ugly and coated in bacon grease into it. I don't have time to read through it now, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:43 PM on May. 16, 2009

• WONDERFUL! People need to be RESPONSIBLE. To borrow credit, you assume the the responsibility
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• While I agree with personal responsibility don't you think the creditors should have some regulations to follow as well?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 2:09 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I totally agree, it is personal responsibility, but what if out of no where someone lost their job *DINGDINGDING* it's happened already!! Anyways if someone lost their job and they had to settle for a less paying job, then they cannot afford to pay the huge interest rates, but they didn't think it would ever happen they had a great job that they could pay their credit cards off with. So I agree it's personal responsibility but then again the banks should make the rates better and I hate flexible rates, that is the dumbest thing ever. Leave the rate at a certain amount!!
    Anonymous

well said friday.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:20 PM on May. 16, 2009

• with the rights bill, came threats from the banks that credit would be slowed or stopped to almost 45% of the current citizens who now own credit cards or loans. the result would have been further credit freezes or stoppages and no consumer spending. enacting the bill would have caused the recession to linger longer. the bill was a good idea on paper, but now when there is a recession continually being held over our heads. banks rule get used to it.
    so much for obama taking claim to the bill which was never created by him but rather a female democrat who started working on it almost 5 years ago. yet, obama still gets credit for giving more women more advancement. how do you figure when he spent a week taking credit for what a woman spent 5 years of work on. he's a jackass.
    Anonymous

• We have to learn to live within our means. Some learn some don't ever. The happest people are the poor I think sometimes they are thankful for what they have while others are wasteful. I personally HATE credit cards. I encouage others to pay them off and keep one.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:06 PM on May. 16, 2009