Are You raising Your Grandkid(s)?

How many of you are either:

Helping to raise your grandkid(s) w/ the parents(letting your kid live with you and you babysit your grandkid(s) while your kid goes to work/school, ect)...

- or- raising them on your own w/o the parents help?

How do you feel about having to do this?

witch_e_woman

Asked by witch_e_woman at 1:26 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I would hope I did a better job the second go round.
    Anonymous

• I would be exhausted
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 10:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I am partially doing this. My daughter and her soon to be exhusband neither one will work to support my granddaughter. My daughter is living with her boyfriend. I have my granddaughter 75% of the time. I am 37 and it takes a toll on me but I dont want my granddaughter to do without either. I am to the point where I am going to take her from both of them because neither of them deserve her.
    kywildcats

Answer by kywildcats at 12:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I allowed my pregnant daughter to move home with us in October 2008 and she had her baby in February 2009. My granddaughter is the light of my life and I help in any way possible. I have problems with my daughter because she refuses to help around the house, procrastinates on doing things that need to be done, and we told her to get a job 2 months ago, but she isn't even trying. She orders her sisters around, she is sarcastic with me and her father, and now, to spite me, she tells me I can't do something with my granddaughter with this answer: "Because I'm her mother and I say so." If it weren't for my granddaughter, I would have kicked her butt out the door a long time ago. I know something has to be done with her, but she knows she can use my granddaughter against me and get what she wants. I'm frustrated, angry, and sad. My granddaughter has my heart.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:17 AM on May. 19, 2009

• My parents are letting me live with them while i'm pregnant and after my daughter is born. But I dont want them RAISING her. They do want to help though, whether I want it or not. My mom tells me that i may not want help sometimes, but I'm going to need it, and she's going to help.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 6:29 AM on May. 21, 2009

• i would sooner die than raise or take custody of my Grandspawn...
    Grandspawn are for spoiling, not parenting!
    ruejacobs

Answer by ruejacobs at 12:56 AM on May. 23, 2009

• when i first had my son i lived with my boyfriend at his parents house and we took advantage of them because we were so young and wanted to go out and party still. but after we broke up and i moved back to my parents house with my son i stepped up and realized i have a responsibility. my mom does help me a lot, but i don't use her to watch my son so i can go out. the only time i go out is on the weekends when i dont have my son, or if i go out during the week i take my son with.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• no
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:52 AM on Oct. 18, 2010