How can I increase my milk supply?

I am about to go back to work and need to establish a supply for when I am gone. But I am only able to pump as much as she drinks, no extra.

jandrews27

Asked by jandrews27 at 1:27 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If you can find the herb fenugreek make a tea out of it. There is a tea called mother's milk which helps too, it has a little fenugreek in it. Also, pump/hand express more often and in between feedings. You just need to stimulate your nipples fooling your breasts into thinking the baby is eating. Look up how to hand express. It is really easy and I do it in the shower to help keep up my milk supply. And stay very hydrated!
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 1:38 PM on May. 16, 2009

• You can also drink a beer at night after the last feeding. Or speak with your doctor about medications to help increase it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:47 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you pump or nurse. Try pumping before you nurse. Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby. Nurse more often. Take brewers yeast tabs. Relax. Look at a picture of your baby while you nurse.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Janie, it is OK to supplement! And not that expensive. Please don't kill yourself, you will burn out quick! I have some fenugreek and I'm not stressing about supply anymore. I will put the bottle in your box if you want it, let me know. Did you ever get the bows I left in your box? Also, you need to join a nursing group on here and read through the posts, lots of people will have advice for you.
    ajator

Answer by ajator at 4:13 AM on May. 22, 2009

• Eat Oatmeal every day too
    ajator

Answer by ajator at 4:14 AM on May. 22, 2009