Institutionalizing your child(ren) ???

How many of you have had to institutionalize your child(ren) for:

Cutting,drugs,alchohol,attempting suicide, body disphoria( either anorexic,ect.), OCD, ect?

If so how did you feel about it as a parent watching your child(ren) suffer & not being able to help them?

witch_e_woman

Asked by witch_e_woman at 1:35 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• My family went through this sort of situation when we had to put my cousin in a facility. It was a hard but good idea because she is now always on her meds (she was severely schizophrenic) and we aren't constantly worried about her safety or her disappearing or ending up in a bad situation. Some one in the family always picks her up and brings her back to the family house ( just about every one in the family lives there, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, many kids and adults) on the week ends so she doesn't feel left out. Her mother, my aunt, passed away before a lot of this happened.

We all tried our damnedest to keep this from happening, but even with 8 adults on her watch 24/7 we realized that for her safety as well as ours we had to do it.
    Anonymous

• I put my sister in for a psychotic break. She was my responsibility at the time. It's hard, but if more people would recognize when their kids needed help, it would be better. My parents took her after that, and pulled her out. She is back in rehab this time. It's her 5th hospitalization. If they had left her in the first time, perhaps some things could have been worked through. They're checking her out early, again. They think she's special, and not *really* an addict. Funny, since she is addicted to several drugs. That sounds like an addict to me.

My point is - if you choose this route, no matter how hard it is, you have to let them work through the entire program.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:36 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I put my son in as a younger child for mental illness and suicidal attempts. He was in middle school though, not a grown child. It's heartbreaking, but you have to do what you have to do to get them help, make them better and keep them safe.

You have to realize though, that each person is different and each person regardless of the support or help that they may have, they will make their own choices, their own mistakes and some never get better. I hope that your situation improves.

richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 2:45 PM on May. 16, 2009

• In my experiance this has been a way for my mom to get rid of us and not have to deal with any of the teenage years. My mom went through two bad divorces when ever I started acting out. I was drinking and hanging out with older guys but not doing any drugs, she couldnt handle me so she told a local hospital that she thought I might kill my self like on purpose just so she didnt have to deal with me. Same thing with my 14 yr old sister, this would be her 4or 5th time being in a hospital because of my mom. My mom has been an alcholic for over 8 yrs now. and has yet to be responsible for how us kids reacted to it. Shes a peice of shi* and now that Im 23, married with a child I know how much better life is outside the walls of living with mommy dearest. Sorry if I sound mean but all of us kids have been through beyond what any one else would ever think and Its pretty crappy that my mom used the mental hospital to get rid of us.
    Anonymous

• Continued.... My grandma sent my mom away to a girls home cause her new husband didnt want my mom around so she was sent there for 2 yrs untill she turned 18. You always should want to do better for your kids but not her and the doctors at the hospitals she has taken us to even told her that she needs to stop drinking and she would smile at them and say ok but go right home and drink untill she was falling over walking up the stairs. So Im freaking totally against hospitals and will find help other ways. I dont need strangers taking care of my children, its my responsibility not theres.
    Anonymous

• I feel your pain anon, but what do you do when your child comes to you and says they're hearing voices? When you're truly afraid for their safety and those around them? The hardest thing I've ever done was take my son to the hospital for this. I understand why you're so against it, I was too. But sometimes it's the only thing that can be done. I don't know if my baby would still be alive if I hadn't taken him in for such intensive care that I could not provide myself.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:04 AM on May. 17, 2009

• it would be better than ignoring the pain and emotional suffering of the child. If he/she were physically ill you wouldn't hestitate to get help so what's the difference in getting them emotional help?

Answer by admckenzie at 1:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• continued... I agree krisr169, If I have done everything in my power and I mean EVERYTHING then I would seek help from the outside but I will never leave my kid at a hospital but instead try and out patient or there just going to have to admit me along with my kid. I care enough about my child that I will never let him go through what I have but unlike my mother, I will be there for my son and not just throw him away like hes a peice of crap. Children need there parents and thats what Im here for.
    Anonymous

• my mom had to do that to my sister but she lives home now but the whole ordeal was heart wrenching.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 2:52 PM on May. 19, 2009

• My parents didn't do it to me, I told my doctor about how I was feeling, and that i was harming myself etc. And I made the decision to get help. But it did help, and the hospital psych ward place wasn't that bad. I met a lot of nice kids of different ages and they were going through the same thing. It was nice to know I wasn't alone.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 6:27 AM on May. 21, 2009