Pro-life or Pro-Choice? (also asked in religion and beliefs section)

After a survey done in the Buffalo News.. a majority with 51% are pro-life. I don't see anything wrong with trying to save a baby.. what I do see wrong, is them interfering in the lives of others. I'm pro-choice, because there are times, that I believe it should be up to the mother. Ex... the baby is dying in the womb, and putting the mother at risk of death as well. There are times, medically, where it should remain legal.. so here are my questions:

If you are pro-choice, what are some of the situations you would feel, it would be okay to get an abortion, or reasons why it should remain legal? Would you put stricter laws on abortions, to cut down on those unnecessary? If so, what would they be?

If you are pro-life.. what do you, or what you do, to help prevent abortions from taking place? How would you personally help some of these pregnant women?

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 1:36 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am pro-choice. That said, I am anti-abortion. I think that more should be done to lower the amount of unwanted pregnancies and abortions. I think there needs to be a better education system put in place and that said education should start early. There should be manditory year long sex ed classes in ALL highschools and mild ones early on. And they souldn't just cover the normal stuff. But they need to go in to detail - STDs, Protection *more than condoms and pills*, Abortion and what it really is. Not just the normal, wear a condom or be at risk stuff... But the gore filled truth about sex and what can come from it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:11 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I'm with you on pro-choice, it's the mother's decision but then again I feel bad when sometimes the father wants the baby but the mother doesn't and he has no say. It's just sad, I wish some people would have more heart. I can understand to have abortions for women who were raped, or the mother and the baby will die if she carries it, or the baby is not in the womb but on the outside, I see for these reasons. But just because you don't want a child, thats wrong. But again it's my decision it's the mothers.
    Anonymous

• I'm pro-choice. I support abortion on demand for the first trimester and for medical reasons only after that. I would not place stricter laws but would make comprehensive sex ed and BC easily available.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 1:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I'll give the same response as I did in the other section:

I am pro-choice. I am for education for all and resources available to pregnant women. However, I believe we need to keep it legal. We cannot pretend to be able to truly understand the life and situations of another person. Making it illegal will not stop abortion, just eliminate the availability to do it safely and strip us of our reproductive rights. As I've said before, the same laws that make it legal to have an abortion keep us from being forced into one if the government decided to limit population growth. These are not rights I can fathom giving up.

mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 1:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I completely agree with Friday on this one.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I am Pro-Life

#1. The mother has already made her choice. She chose to have sex. While some women are raped and get pregnant, we shouldn't make "on-demand" laws based on 1% of pregnancy. NO form of contraception is 100%. If you're not ready for a baby, don't have sex. "That's not realistic" is a cop-out response to abstinence. We are not animals, we walk upright and we have the ability to reason. We CAN say no to sex if we are not ready to deal with the consequences. I AM THE PRODUCT OF A TEENAGE RAPE VITCIM. Can someone here please tell me, to my face, why I am less deserving of life than any other child?

#2 From conception, a baby is a complete set of human DNA. It has grown so rapidly that by the time the mother knows she is pregnant, it already has measurable brainwaves, a circulatory system and many vital organs in place. Removing the baby is murdering a human being (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• (cont.) While the child resides within the mother's body, it is NOT her body that she is touching when she cuts the baby up and sucks it out! Even animals have advocates but the human unborn baby does not?! So many people are concerned about the mother's rights. Mothers, don't your children have rights too? Why doesn't this make more people outraged?

#3 The rare instance of the medical need for an abortion also does not support "on-demand" abortions and abortion facilities. If the mother's life is fading, so is the baby's! The baby would die any way without the mother. I have no problem if someone were to choose to terminate their pregnancy when BOTH would died as a result. This is an EMERGENCY MEDICAL PROCEEDURE where all options to save both mother and baby should be exhausted FIRST. We don't need to legalize "on-demand" abortions and set up abortion clinics for this rare instance either.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i will be agreeing with november love on this one. we all make that choice to have sex. getting raped and ending up pregnant is pretty rare yes it does happen but not as often as people make you think.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I believe abortions should only be permitted when the mother or baby is @ a serious health risk or in cases like rape/incest. I am very solid w/my beliefs that a woman should utilize the option for birth control if she does not want to become pregnant! I have no respect for the women who sleep around then choose to have an abortion because "they weren't ready/didn't want to have a child w/that particular person/don't know who the father is/etc"....Maybe the dumb broad should have considered that when she was spreading her legs to everyone! Its selfish & disgusts me. I feel the same about gender abortions, WTF!? Maybe someone should have aborted YOU! These girls need to be desperately educated & be taught good morals/values/judgment....they should not be having sex if they are not responsible. A baby is a gift not a mistake. The mothers choice!? since your sensible enough to make "choices" especially life vs death then try
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 2:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Getting raped and ending up pregnant is far more common than you may think. Especially when you take into account not only 'stranger rapes', but rape committed by friends, family members, and other trusted individuals.

And I hate to say it, but it is ALREADY legal. There is no 'legalizing' about it. It is already legal, there are already women's clinics that preform abortions. I

t's more a matter of restricting legality. No 'on-demand' abortions after first trimester, no excuses. Anything after that point is for medical reasons only. NO partial birth abortions. There is no reason why a woman can survive birthing most of her baby, and then killing it before it is completely out of her body. She could have had a regular abortion far earlier, or if it is an emergency that has just arisen, she can have a c-section. There needs to be FAR more education regarding sex, pregnancy, abortion, adoption, STDs, etc.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 2:04 PM on May. 16, 2009