How to help my dog understand.....

We had a cat and two dogs, in February our cat died he was 12 so it was simply a "natural death" yesterday we had to have our older (14 years old) dog put to sleep. Our poor young (4.5 year old) dog is so confused, it seems like she just stopped looking for the cat and now the other dog is gone. She is alternating between wandering around as if looking for him and sulking, she is so sad. How have other moms helped a pet deal with the loss of another other than extra love? Hubby says we will have to get a new puppy soon, but my 16 year old son is NOT going to be ready for that for awhile.

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 1:36 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Pets

• You can ask a friend or family with pets if they'd like to get together for a doggie play date. Having them do a job or go walking. Keep them busy. Do some training. Even the best trained dog can use a refresher course. If you are not sure how to train maybe look for a trainer in your area. The idea is to just keep busy and let time pass. Don't ignore him, but don't coddle him either. Time is the best healer.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• The dog will get over it. It will take time like any other death but it will pass. Maybe try doggie daycare or something or you can always get an older dog from a shelter so you wont have to house train it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:40 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I would be giving the dog lots of TLC like you would a child.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:53 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I had 2 greyhounds and one had to be put down, my other was never the same after that. I think the idea of playdates is a good one...that way he still has interaction with other dogs and won't feel so lonely.
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 9:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with the play date thing.....we have a chihuahua that lost one pup at birth...the other pup wasn't fully developed inside.....that pup lived for 1 week & 3 days....sooo sad.....she would go to her bed looking & sniffing for her baby....it hurt me to see her looking for her baby....every day she would go to where she & her baby shared their bed in a playpen crib.....she spent time with the other chi's too.....eventually she slowed down on looking her her baby & would spend more & more time with the other's.....we got her spayed....she's doing fine now....Diane :-)
    dichihuahua

Answer by dichihuahua at 11:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• we had to adopt another dog after having to have our other little one put to sleep. My chihuahua/dachshund mix wouldn't eat or play he was so mopey...
    gidget1988

Answer by gidget1988 at 5:52 PM on May. 20, 2009