I want some peoples opinions?

My son is almost 18 mos old he speaks a little he points to things he uses imaginative play like holds phone up to ear he makes eye contact he does flap his arms when he gets excited and he only says a couple of words but not always he is very active we were concerned about autism what do you all think but he doesnt show all the signs just a few

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 1:39 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At 18 months its hard to diagnose. It sounds to me he is just a lazy talker. You probably give into the pointing and don't make him say the words so he doesn't. My sister did it with her now 5 year old and he did not speak in sentences until he was almost 3. He had very few words up until that point. I would work on a word a day with him until he says it. Make it a fun little game. Autism has a lot more signs then not speaking, like being obsessive over how things are put away, sorted. Arranging things is a big deal to them, they usually avoid eye contact as they find it threatening. I have a family friend who's daughter got diagnosed with it around 18 months and it turns out she was just delayed in her speech because her older sister spoke for her. She would sort her foot and stack it up and it turns out she has ocd and she is now 5.
    Anonymous

• If he rocks back and forth a lot, plays by himself (without trying to involve you) if he hardly ever makes noises doesn't matter if it's words or sounds, if there is nothing then there is a problem. But from what you've said he's right where he needs to be, try sitting down with him and let him point at things in a book and you tell him what it is. Or point to his nose for about 3 days saying what it is and he'll start to catch on, do this with all body parts. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Anonymous

• He sounds fine. Why don't you get some baby sign language videos and watch them with him?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Autism is over-hyped. I'm sure your son is fine, I bet he won't shut up by the time he's 2/2.5.
    Anonymous

• Both of my boys were late talkers. The first one woke up talking one day, and the 2nd is slowly learning words. Other clues to note is if he interacts with you, is sociable, or does repetitive things. Sounds like he's the typical boy.
    MissV.

Answer by MissV. at 6:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i have the same situation w/my 19 mth old. Ladies your words are very encouraging for me.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 9:25 AM on May. 18, 2009