what is the best fabric to use for making a baby sling for summertime

I have a 3 month old, I live in fl and it gets super hot during the summers. I have a myawrap that i love but its black and doesnt really breathe well. any ideas?

tattooedmomma23

Asked by tattooedmomma23 at 1:53 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would think that a cotton fabric would be your best bet. I have a sling made from cotton and I loved it.
    MrsFancyPants

Answer by MrsFancyPants at 3:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I agree a cotton fabric...a light color
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 8:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• jersey cotton if it needs to have stretch.. if not, any cotton. Cotton in general (which is what jersey is made out of.. think T shirt material) will breathe well.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• agreed

cotton is light and breathes well, and jersey is also a nice fabric that has stretch
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 5:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• but will it hold a baby?
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 6:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My friend told me once thats she uses muslin fabric. She lives in Austin Tx too so it gets SUPER hot there.
    tuff_as_snails

Answer by tuff_as_snails at 6:19 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If you're using regular weight cotton, you'll want to double it up. You can use two coordinating pieces and make it reversible, or just sew one piece in half, right sides together and turn it right side out. I'm not sure which type of sling you're making, but my summer sling is a pouch sling (no rings, not adjustable) and it's thicker cotton like pants material. It's not too hot. My others are flannel, and I'll be keeping them for cooler weather.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 10:05 PM on May. 17, 2009

• linen is stronger and cooler than cotton, but more fragile due to fibers breaking down due to wear. Solarveil is fabric made for slings that dry quickly and block the sun, poly mesh made for swimming and hot sun, don't know about the comfort level though. They've quit making it due to production costs, so harder to find yardage, but plenty of slings/MT's made from it are still for sale.
    https://www.thenatureschild.com/Articles.asp?ID=159
    ammasmama

Answer by ammasmama at 9:07 AM on May. 20, 2009