Have you seen Religulous?

I know this gets asked quite a lot, but oh well :P

We just got it on Netflix and I'm about to watch it. Yay.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 1:57 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, not yet....tell me if it's any good.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 1:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• WARNING, SPOILER:

I saw it and turned if off half-way through.

I am religious but I am more than willing to listen to the ideas of other people. In fact, I seek the ideas of others because I love learnning and it helps me grow. I found this "documentary" to just be rediculous. He purposely went out and found people who obviously weren't very with it and used them to ask them in-depth questions that they had no way of knowing (except for the one scientist whose answers were very good). I along with many of my friends could have answered any one of the questions he asked. He PURPOSELY asked certain people certain questions to support his own view (and his view was obvious deciding him constantly claiming how neutral he was the entire movie). For the non-religious people he interviewed, his interview style was very different and they were made to look like geniuses. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:03 PM on May. 16, 2009

• (cont.) He also has a "pull the rug out from under you" type of interview style. He asks a question and before they can answer, the then makes a snide remark. While taken aback from the snide remark and distracted from the question they were asked, he then interrupts making it out like they simply weren't able to answer the question because they were stupid. He did this with every single religious interveiwee and I got so annoyed with it because I just wanted to hear their friggin answers and not this clown's snide remarks. He kept his own documentary from having useful information and it was a complete waste of my time to watch it.

If he goes and does it again, interveiws credible people and keeps his mouth shut so that others can answer, I'll be more than glad to sit down and watch it. I was very dissapointed. I was really looking forward to a well-put, inteligent point of view.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:06 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It's a great movie, we bought it!! He just asks questions that don't seem real, it's kind of funny because some people don't have answers. I had the answers, he should have come and asked me!!! LOL It's a great movie, it made me realize my religion is the strongest and most realistic. A lot of other religions just seem so made up and he proved it for me!! Great movie!!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:09 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I watched it online a few months ago. I thought it was great. He made a lot of good points and the religious people he interviewed pretty much drove home the main point he was trying to make: religion is crazy. Half the time he didn't even have to comment because they made themselves look crazy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Sorry, great movie! I actually have stopped watching In Real Time, his show because I don't agree with the way that his presents himself, and he comes across really arrogant. Both my husband and myself felt that he was much more subdued in this piece. I did my thesis on Christian Fascism, and there was a lot to be said for what he is talking about. Whether or not you like the way that he presented himself or how his interview skills were, the information is what it is. I had to go into it with an open mind because I know how he is, but if someone is articulate well read and knows what they are talking about they can handle themselves when they are being interviewed by him, Cornell West had no problem putting Bill in his place about religion on Real Time.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I enjoyed it and thought it was humorous (especially the interview with a theme park Jesus), but I felt that Bill Maher wasn't agressive enough some times. It made me talk to the screen a little, like "No, Bill, ask them THIS." or "No, tell them this." I am an agressive atheist, as anyone who has seen any of my posts or answers knows quite well, and he was a little too respectful. But you'll like it if you are an open-minded religious person or a non-believer.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 2:55 PM on May. 16, 2009