My son has days n nights mixed up, how can I fix it? Or can I fix it?

MalakiahsMommy

Asked by MalakiahsMommy at 2:19 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lay him in his bed around 11am to sleep for a nap, then however his day plays out don't let him nap or sleep at all after 5pm, keep him up until bed time. This is how we got both our kids on a schedule. Again no sleeping after 5pm until bedtime. Try to keep a routine like a bath or a warm bottle for bed. We did room temp for their normal bottles and night bottles were warm.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:22 PM on May. 16, 2009

• during the day, open the curtain/blinds so the sun will shine in, do your normal chores (run the dishwasher, washing machine, vacuum, use the blender.... etc), put the tv or radio on...basically your normal noises. near bedtime/at night, lower the volume! my son got the hang of things around 5 m/o
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:25 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Keep everything bright during the days, open all the curtains, play with him, keep him awake (easier said than done, I know!), turn on music with a beat and turn it up, sing and dance around with him. Give him one morning nap around 10-11am, then another one around 2-3. Don't let him sleep after around 4:30-5pm. Once he's up from his naps start the lights, playing and music back up to keep him awake. Then after dinner close things down, low lights, closed curtains, slow/calm movements with him, bath, things to wind him down. Then lay him down at the same time everynight. Try to keep a schedule with bedtime. Fill up his belly and then lay him down in a dark place.....it may take a few days of this but he'll get it.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:26 PM on May. 16, 2009

• mommabear has great pointers, but as for the times she listed, just follow your baby's tired cues! he might not be tired 10-11am. my son was usually ready for his first nap 2 hours after he was up for the day
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:42 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Well my daughter takes late naps and I could never deprive her of sleep she needs. Otherwise I agree with everything else. But I never put my child on a schedule as a newborn and she sleeps just fine now (7months) and even sleeps through the night.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 3:14 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My daughter had the same problem! I just kept her up later and later in the mornings, so finally she would be ready for full out 10 hour sleep at noon. Just him up a little longer everyday, then within a week, you should be set at a bedtime. =)
    b_pacheco

Answer by b_pacheco at 4:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• my DD had hers mixed up really bad at the beginning. Her doc said NOT to mess with it and that she will fix it on her own and low and behold not 2 weeks later she adjusted herself and was sleeping 11 hours at night!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• we had this problem. It takes time but your baby will get there. We set up a nightime routine everynight and stick to it without missing a beat. We did this at 4 weeks and by 7 weeks...presto, she was down at 10:30 at the latest. She now goes to bed at 9:30 no problem. This is what we did. I make and warm a bottle before I even change her. Then when the bottle is done, I take her to the changing table and take her clothes off, change her diaper, massage her with Aveeno calming lotion and put her PJs on. Then I swaddle her and shut the lights off. Take her to the rocker, feed her and rock her for about 10 mins. She is now out like a light and sleeps till morning. I dont talk to her much during her routine and bottle but I rub her forehead with my fingertips while she eats. Good luck and it will get better.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:55 PM on May. 16, 2009