how much is it to adopt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• One of our agency adoptions was only $5000 plus the legal fees. Depending on the agency, it can go as high as 20,000 (or higher for international). Foster-adopt costs next to nothing, but there is a lot involved. Do a search to read some of the previous posts about that. It sounds like you are just getting started looking into it. Take some time to do some research. I know it seems overwhelming. You'll need to think about what it important to you. Open adoption is very common these days, and you'll see that most agencies have an open adoption policy. That can be as little as meeting once and sending pics and updates occasionally through the agency, or having lots of contact. Not everyone is comfortable with this (I was very wary when the idea was first presented to me), but I hope you are able to do some reading on the reasons for and benefits of open adoption before deciding against it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 3:54 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i dont know an exact amount but i know its a lot. my parents adopted 2 kids (myself and my older sister) and it cost a LOT. sorry i cant be more specific
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 2:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It all depends on what kind of adoption you want. An open adoption, a private adoption, an international adoption, if your looking to adopt a single child or a family, how old the child is, what state you live in, if you get a agency and how much your case worker charges, I know its around 15,000 in most states and thats the low end. I also know they go based off your debt, and income and how old you are as well. You must make enough and have a savings in order to adopt. I know with the military they pay you back once the adoption is complete up to 10,000 per single child and 15,000 per family.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 3:19 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Our adoption is international. We are budgeting $40K.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:27 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It depends on the kind of adoption. If you go through your state/county then it is virtually free. There are lots of children who need a home form the foster care system. We are currently in the process of doing a fost/adopt. The homestudy, classes etc. did not cost us anything.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• foster to adopt is free or nearly free. domestic infant can be anywhere from $12,000-$45,000, as can international adoption. working with a not for profit agency is a good route if you don't want to work with the government in foster adopt.
    Anonymous

• I adopted my first 2 kids. We are in California. 1994 and 1997. We adopted through the state and since we didn't have much money, they waived the $500 fees so all we paid for was $500 each time for the adoption laywer for the paperwork. I wanted children so badly and got my precious children, I am so lucky. I also have to say that I am adopted also through the state of California and my parents said it wasn't much at that time either(1969). I would not have done it any other way.
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 5:59 AM on May. 17, 2009

• We did a private domestic adoption and when all said and done it was around 40 thousand.
    Anonymous

• We adopted our then15 month old through foster care and it cost us a total of $16.50 for the birth certificate.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 7:08 AM on May. 18, 2009