What type of protection is suitable for a home with children?

My good friend, her brothers place just got busted into and his roomate was shot and killed. My husband works midnights at the Westville Correctional Facility, and is gone from 6pm to 6am. It's just me and my two kids home alone. I wanted to know what type of protection would be suitable for a home with children from other moms.

MelindaFeeney

Asked by MelindaFeeney at 2:51 PM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• condoms of course.
    Anonymous

• I'd be getting an alarm system if I were you (if that's feasible/affordable.) And some mace. But hide that stuff from the kiddos. Ouch.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 2:57 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Big dog? I don't like guns in the house with small kids.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 2:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• we used to live in the ghetto. scary area. we had an alarm system included with rent! only thing is if the alarm was to go off, the company wouldnt call unless it was past 30 seconds. not a long time, but it was a small house and would only take 10 seconds to steal and kill. many times after activating the alarm when going out, if I accidently forgot something I'd run in and grab it, and before the alarm was officially activated. I didnt feel very secure knowing that! but get an alarm system for the house, good window locks, good padlock on the front door!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:59 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I have an alarm system. I do not believe in guns in the house with small children.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 4:44 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Well, even if you can't afford an actual alarm system. They have these little alarms that go on each door and window and sound loudly when they are opened. You can't use them while you're not home, because you have to turn them on while you in the house with everything closed. If you're just looking for some safety while you're home this could work for you. If you can afford a real alarm system, then look into them and see what price range is best for you. I would also look into a dog. I have little tiny dogs, and I still feel safe, because they bark at everything.
    Anonymous

• We use a few guns for home/personal protection. I carry a personal gun at all times and we keep a few in the house. One esp is right above the door on a gun holder. I keep it there becasue one time a guy posing as UPS , knocked on the door, when I opened it, he tired to force himself in. The only reason he took off was because my neighbor pulled up into my drive cause she had my mail.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:37 PM on May. 16, 2009

• brinks home security is the best. maybe you could get a big dog too. staffordshire terriers and staffordshire bull terriers are very good with kids (as long as you're nice to them and train them properly) they are also very loyal, family oriented dogs. the media has made them out to be monsters b/c stupid people fight them and make them mean. you can make any dog mean. i have a staffordshire terrier, he looks mean, but he is the sweetest, big baby dog in the world.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:37 AM on May. 17, 2009