Your 14,15,16 or 17 year old is pregnant-what makes us think we have any choices?

so your baby comes home and says to you, "ma, Im pregnant."
In your mind you have already come up with a million reasons to why she should not or should keep it, I read all these questions like "should I make her keep it" "should I tell her to abort it" and my FAVORITE " I would NEVER allow her to get rid of it, will raise it or she can give it up for adoption" another one that pushes my buttons is "Lets go discuss it with the fathers parents" When reading those comments I here as a young adult/mother that the decision to keep or terminate is the (GRANDPARENTS) choice... if your 14 year old came home and was pregnant she DOES have legal rights at that point to make her own choice you cant force a choice upon her.
So my question is, how many other people get upset by comments that make it sound as though the grandparent is giving there child no other options than the one the The grandparent likes best?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• As a parent you have more life experience to show her the options out there. She might not know much about her options. But...if she does keep the baby, really who will be providing for it? The 14 year old? Likely not.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:02 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't say I get upset by it, but I do feel sad that parents think they can control their child forever about everything just because they live under their roof or are a minor. Do I wish my child would get pregnant at that age or think it would be great? no, but I would make sure they have any resource available if they needed it along with my unconditional love and support as they find themself growing up faster than we thought they would.

MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:05 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It upsets me because Im 17 and I have alot of friends who thought they had no choice but abortion because there grand/parents pushed it on them so much or vise versa. I think its ok to talk about options but its not ok to push one way or the other thats just not fair...and at 14 its hard to say "No mom I want to keep my baby theres nothing you can do about it"
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:50 PM on May. 16, 2009

• im 17 and have been basically taking care of myself since I was about 14 now at 17 I will take care of myself and my baby...so support from my family AT ALL so it depends on the situration
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:52 PM on May. 16, 2009

• If the parents were actually there for their child before she got pregnant, she' probably wouldn't be pregnant. Prevention is key.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 3:58 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It can be upsetting if the parents are horrible and neglectful but I think it all depends on the situation.... if the teenager is going to reside with he parents and they would be providing her care, they would have a big say. 14, 15, 16 and 17 are not grown-ups with the ability to make those descisions on their own- why I believe their opinion is important, parents who want what is best for their child may know a little more about the situation. Not that they should demand you do something- but I do believe some feel they have the right to as the breadwinners.

And while some cases of teenage pregnancy are results of neglectful parents, sometimes that is just not the case. I had the most wonderful and attentive grandmother who raised me and gave me disclipline and nuture and yet when I was sixteen I got pregnant (but miscarried at twelve weeks). I simply made a mistake.
    JacquieG83

Answer by JacquieG83 at 5:16 PM on May. 16, 2009

• i think if a 14 15 16 or even 17 year old gets prego and still lives at home and can not support them selfs how r they going to support there baby i know at those ages i was not able to take care of a baby yes some girls do support themselfs young due to there family situations and if they can take care of the child thats diffrent but if they can't i think parents should have a helping say in the conversation no i do not believe in abortion but l every situation is diffrent i highly agree with adoption there are so manny familys that can't have babies and there is always open adoption where u can get pictures of the child growing up and know they are taken care of
    Anonymous