Why Cancer?

My good friend from high school, Allison Maken, her son died from Leukemia when he was 5...just 5 years old. My niece just died from Leukemia yesterday, she was just 3 years old. Why Cancer? Why does God take children away at such a young age when they have their whole lives a head of them? Why don't they take us? I had to watch my sister, who is the STRONGEST person I know, say good-bye to her youngest daughter and bury her. I had to watch Jillian((my niece)) go through chemo and radiation and I had to watch my sister watch her daughter die. This isn't fair. My friend Allison, who is the most FAITHFUL women I know, had to let go of her oldest son, James. Allison prays all day, goes to church every Sunday, sends her children to Catholic school and sends them to Sunday school. She asks me "Why did this happen to us?"

What do I tell her? I have no experience with this and these two women are my best friends.

katfranz111

Asked by katfranz111 at 3:27 PM on May. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• God does not give you more than you can handle. It's part of their walk.
    Anonymous

• Oh goodness, I'm sorry for your losses :(

I'm not a religious person, but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone. My MIL died from a looong battle with ovarian cancer in 2007. It was so terrible. Sometimes things happen that are out of the natural order of things, I think. It's just not fair.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:31 PM on May. 16, 2009

• It is part of the walk. I am so sorry for your lose my prays are with your family.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I hate to get advice like that especially about a child "It was meant to be" or "Its part of God's plan" is it really part of God's plan to bring a child into the world and bring joy to ppl only to take it away in a few years? This goes back to your faith and I believe in God but I dont know how I would be able to handle that if my child had cancer. Just continue to be a good friend. Dont say "I know how you feel" unless you really do. Celebrate the children's lives dont erase them from your memory, be a shoulder to lean on and a ear to hear. Its hard when a parent loses a child, so this may take some time just let them know you are there
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 3:33 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Because the God I know doesn't take innocent lives. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THAT. That's just cruel. The God that took away those sweet children is a jerk.
    Anonymous

• this is why I do not believe in "GOD". It is a myth. I do however believe that when a person die they become an angel...not gods angel. just an angel. We are given more than we can handle sometimes...That whole saying...God doesn't give you more than you can handle is a bunch of bull.
    My first pregnancy ended in a still birth and everyone kept telling me that...If that was true then I would not have gone through that. It is still hard to deal with today and it has been 4 years. I since have had two healthy children..thank goodness..but I hate to see a child suffer from an illness.

I would tell the mother, that her daughter has gone to a place where she does not hurt, she does not suffer, she does not cry and she watches over her mommy as an angel with the biggest smile on her face that will never fade. I am sorry if what I said has upset anyone but that is my belief. There are too many kids suffering for me to believe!!
    Anonymous

• Oh wow...I'm sorry 2 hear that! Unfortunately we dnt kno y God needs lil Angels. But, he does. (He has 3 of mine, although they were miscarriages & I know-its not the same). Its not easy, but as u pointed out, these r STRONG, FAITHFUL women. No matter how strong & faithful they r tho...they need u. A hug. A shoulder 2 cry on. U have 2 be their rock 4 a lil while. Head high & smile...those babies r sittin in Gods lap @ this very moment. No longer sick. No more pain...
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:55 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Oh Katherine. Thank you for this. You don't even know how much I value your friendship. Having you in my life is truly a blessing. I am so sorry to hear about Jillian; your sister and your family have been in my prayers for sometime now. And thank you for the moms above me. Loosing a child isn't easy, but it's thanks to friends like you, that gets me through it.

Thank you! and God Bless
    mommyofsix09

Answer by mommyofsix09 at 6:49 PM on May. 16, 2009