How come when people say

that they are on welfare or housing everyone who has never had to get government assistance EVER!!! want to judge and say that there tax dollars are supporting these family's ? what do you want a pat on the back for your dollar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• That's ridiculous. I was on WIC and I had Medicaid for my DS. AND I had food stamps while I was on maternity leave. And you know what? Before all that I worked for years, sometimes two jobs at a time, and I guaran-damn-tee you that the amount I paid in taxes was more than enough for the support I received when I needed it.
    Some people don't see it that way though. It must be nice to never find yourself in a situation where you never need help. Government assistance isn't something most moms aspire to, but it is something those of us who need it will use. Hopefully we also recognize when we don't need it anymore as well, so that we don't take advantage of it.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 4:09 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Yes. It's not free money, it's MY money. My taxes go to alot more than just the poor though. But i would expect someone to be humble about getting assistance, not ungrateful. It's not a handout and shouldnt be looked at as such. It is a fact that it is their "tax money supporting these familys". Where do you think the money comes from?
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 4:10 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Our tax moeny does pay for this. I am a single mother who works and goes to school but I still cannot make ends meet so I receieve food stamp benefits. Yet my neighbors both capable of working have been on DSS since I have moved in. That is 3 YEARS! They sit at home and get their rent, electric, food stamps, and CASH which the use to get her nails done, tanning, and to buy drugs! Why do they not make them get jobs! It is frustrating when you are trying to do everything right and these lazy people get handouts and the sad thing is.. they are perfectly happy with their lives and dont plan on changing it. I think government help is great when you need it but they should be alot more strict on regulations to keep benefits and have limits to what you can get.
    goose23

Answer by goose23 at 4:43 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Op, my point is like motherofanaries said , alot of the people who receive government assistance have worked all their lives and have PAID THEIR TAXES AS WELL, so when times get hard and they find there selves needing help and get government assistance, what makes people like you forevermom think it's ok to knock them when their down?

It's their money too!!! they paid their taxes and now they need help!!!! GET OVER IT!!!! YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE PAYING TAXES LADY AND YOU NEED TO BE HUBLE AND THANK GOD YOU NEVER EVER NEEDED ASSISTANCE!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I would rather pay for that than illegal wars.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:28 PM on May. 16, 2009