How do you feel about schools providing birth control to your kids?

A number of schools around the nation have been giving out birth control pills to girls as young as 11. What are your thoughts on this, particularly medical as well as moral? Do you favor it or not? If so, why? If not, why not?

LIZARD66

Asked by LIZARD66 at 4:08 PM on May. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Good!!!!
    Anonymous

• I honestly don't know, I some what like it because they probably have a huge pregnancy rate so they felt if they give them BC then at least they wont get pregnant. I don't think I would have to worry about my own child, if I raise her right then she will never need to use BC until she's an adult. I think it's ok for girls who can't go and talk to their parents, so to be able to get BC at school is probably best for them. There are a lot of girls out there that don't have anyone to talk to so they feel the need to have sex, and having BC just protects them from becoming moms. Again I still don't know how I feel about this!!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:13 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I find it terribly ironic, when public schools will also suspend a student for having tylenol on them.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 4:14 PM on May. 16, 2009

• I think its good because at least they are safe. We cant always control everything they do. Sometimes its easier to tell a nurse or teacher than it is to tell your parents. If they are going to do it then they will do it with or without protection. I think that if they go to the nurse and say (help me be safe.) Thats a good thing.
    Anonymous

• I would rather the school give a child birth control and some education than see yet another 14 year old mother who is so confused as to how she got pregnant when she followed all the advice of her friends.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 4:23 PM on May. 16, 2009

• At least the child is trying to be responsible and not going out and doing it complety unprotected. And I am sure these same scools give out condoms to the boys as well. Would we rather the children who get them just go out and do it without protection at all. I am planning on telling my kids that sex is ok if you are smart about it (i.e. partner selection, birth control). I don't want my kids to just go out and do it with no idea of the consecquences that could from that one time.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:25 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Agree with mogencreative. I personally do not like it because it gives them the green light. As does the morning-after pill. Dear LORD help me raise my DD right!
    nookers

Answer by nookers at 4:28 PM on May. 16, 2009

• This is such a double sides answer. Personally I feel it is a parents obligation to discuss these matters in a realistic way and do not like the idea of the government parenting any child. However, there are a great many people who are not adult enought o accept that hormones are hard to combat and the human population can not afford to keep increasing it's population. SO it's either your ethics or survival of the Earth. No question.
    omega13

Answer by omega13 at 4:30 PM on May. 16, 2009

• My concerns are medical. Is there a link for this somewhere? BC pills are a prescription med for a reason and they make a LOT of women incredibly ill. Aside from the whole suspended for tylenol but bc is ok hypocrisy, the side effects of bc can put you in the hospital if you're one of the people who can't take it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:32 PM on May. 16, 2009

• Could you please provide a link that says schools are giving the pill to eleven year olds? Schools won't give any medication to students, not even Tylenol. Honestly, this sounds like something you made up.

Anonymous